Barefoot Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i read this with interest.

as mentioned, running with thick shoes with inflexible soles made to cushion heel impact is unphysiological.
    from a biomechanical standpoint, the benefits on barefoot running are
    1) increased mid and forefoot involvement during the lift off - this strengthens the intirinsic muscles of the foot
    2) better distribution of impact during landing- this effectively takes the loading off the knees
    3) with the re-distribution during the stance phase, the centre of gravity is altered and the body is made to adopt a forward position during running, which improves momentum, thus the observation of barefoot running being less tiring after the initial re-adapation.

way to go guys

Comment

i've read that barefoot running is good but only for advanced runners,, (since most humans are so used to shoes they shouldn't go straight to barefoot as you can get injury)... Better to start with some shoes such as the Nike Free and work you way down to the less cushioned model (7.0 - 5.0 - 3.0) then as you progress you can eventually go barefoot (or five fingers)

Comment

I've fairly recently switched to minimal cushioning running shoes (New Balance zero)... running feedback is much better... but really makes ur calves very tired initially. I'm getting used to it now, and I think the best part of barefoot/minimal cushioning is the weightless feeling of running.

Comment

I have been using minimalist shoes (vibrams and new balance zero) for the last 7 months. It is true that you need to start slowly cos your calves will hurt in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, it should be ok. The other thing you need to watch is the blisters that it would caused when you r breaking in the shoes.

Once you are hooked on the lightweight minimalist shoes, you will not want to run with normal cushioned shoes anymore.

Comment

BTW, if you intend to get Vibrams, do get them from The ShoeMart which is a US online websites. With VPOST shipping, it should cost about 100 - 120 bucks, much cheaper compared to buying local.

Comment

Barefoot? Seriously painful man....

Comment

Got my pair of Vibram 2 years ago, at $219. now should be much cheaper.
                JB is selling pirated version , half singapore current retailing price. not sure how different it is , with the original.
                but my old Vibram is still going very strong, n durable.

Comment

Have both shoes. Vibram really feels too raw for my liking. Newton is e best!!!!!

Comment

I would recommend reading "born to run" by Christopher mcdougall. It's a good read on barefoot running origins and benefits. It's based on a true story and a best seller.

Comment

My estate got an old uncle who does barefoot running ..he look pretty healthy to me..so it might be true tat its good..

Comment

well...i cant really do barefoot...flat feet plus ankle sprained before...

Comment

Saw many barefoot runners landing on heels, bad for the foot...

Comment

its bad for the knees

Comment

Scared on the floor got nails or broken glass.

Comment

It takes some time to get used to.

I bought my 1st pair of Vibram 5 fingers 2 years ago, and it took me 2 months to get used to landing on my forefoot. But before my body got used to it, I found I had muscles I never knew of in my foot, shins and calves.

Today, I don't run long distances any more, but I run 10 x 100m sprints twice a week. Totally barefoot on a rubberized track. Feels really good and definitely much faster than wearing thick cushiony jogging shoes.

Personally, I don't think it's safe to run long distances totally barefoot due to glass and sharp stones everywhere (I tried to run 5k many times totally barefoot at ECP). Every time, there was blood involved whether due to cuts or blisters. So the Vibram 5 fingers are the next best option as they feel closest to actual barefoot running.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X