No announcement yet.

Brand new or pre-owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think you will earn any credit card points if you pay by instalment...at least I know Citibank doesn't.

Comment

• 2nd hand is better

Comment

• Originally posted by commoner View Post
        Been lurking in this forum for sometime liao.

Except for my 1st pre-owned Rolex 6694 and IWC portofino (a gift), all my watches are bought new. 6694 is worn by my brother, and I knew my friend who gave me the IWC well.

Really love seeing many watches selling here, and ebay, but never get myyself to take a step further. Being a kiasu chinese middle age fellow, and to think myself going to spend multiple thousands to buy a 2nd hand watch, it is so damn difficult. Knowing myself, I will be wondering why the guy sells his watch (whether bad luck or something), lost on the race track or whatever if I buy it. Don't think I will have that peace of mind should something bad happens when wearing a pre-owned watch. not knowing its history. Don't think I wll ever buy from a pawn shop for sure.

So I will continue to save my blood and sweat money to pursue my new 14060m and solid gold rolex or give it all up for just a PP aquanaut/nautilus. It will be a slow and tedious process I am sure, but I will enjoy the fruits of the hard labor.

How many of you are of the same thinking?

Does the history of the watch affect your purchase?

cheers

I would get a brand new if the watch is selling a bit of difference in pre owned market and get a pre owned if the price gap for the brand new watch is far. You might end up saving buying pre owned after all. Could sell up the watch as the same amount you bought at a right price in case you tend to change your collection or getting the funds back

Comment

• Pre-owned due to the savings you get from buying brand new

Comment

• New around here, but i like to find out how do you guys "Pay" the seller (especially non-dealer) for purchase of their pre-own watch that's like > 3K up?

1. hard Cash? in primarily denomination of... $50?$100?$1000?
            2. ATM transfer?
            3. Internet bank transfer?
            4. Swipe card? (ok this option is a joke)

Comment

• Originally posted by fable View Post
              New around here, but i like to find out how do you guys "Pay" the seller (especially non-dealer) for purchase of their pre-own watch that's like > 3K up?

1. hard Cash? in primarily denomination of... $50?$100?$1000?
              2. ATM transfer?
              3. Internet bank transfer?
              4. Swipe card? (ok this option is a joke)
              I'm not sure how this question came about but I reckon it is as much similar as making a purchase at a retail store/coffeeshop/supermarket, etc. It is very much a private arrangement between seller and buyer how you guys want to transact. And it also very much depends on how much the watch/item costs for whatever payment mode is more appropriate. Normally, such transactions were made using option no. 1, 2 and 3, hardly 4.

But I have personally seen how option 4 was carried out. For example, seller (A) is selling a watch that buyer (B) wants to buy but B cannot afford cash payment in full. A does not accept installment payment but A, at the same time, wants to buy a watch from an AD. The AD accepts all forms of payments, including credit card flexi-payment. So A & B can transact in this manner:

A & B first agree on the price for B to buy A's watch;
              B uses his credit card on flexi-payment to buy A's watch from the AD, on the exact amount that B will spend to buy A's watch; and
              Both will then handover the watches each wants and transaction is sealed.

A is happy getting the new watch he wants from the AD w/o needing to pay anything (if the amount is the same). B is happy getting the watch from A using flexi-payment.

How's that
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Pre-owned if you're comfortable with the seller and the product. Be realistic abt the price and condition and do not rush into the buying too!

Comment

• just starting

Im thinking of getting an entry level rolex and has been looking at 2nd hand only.
                  the price difference is way too tempting to get a 2nd hand instead of a brand new. and like some bro mention-ed, if someone has to sell off his rolex cheap in exchange for cash its actually my fortune to buy it off cheap ! hahah.

Comment

• brand new as far as possible. too much hassle in authenticating otherwise

Comment

• Won't mind a second hand as long as it can be authenticated

Comment

• I personally preferred brand new watches.

Comment

• Pre-owned if its a no longer produced model. Else new.

Comment

• For middle level 1000~3000, i prefer new. For higher level >3000, 2nd hand.

because the resale value for expensive watch usually suffer higher losses.

$8000 watches loss of 20% is 1600
                            $2000 watches loss of 20% is only 400. Hence my decision is based on this calculation.

Comment

• depends on how you like the watch.
                              if i really like a watch i'll buy it brand new
                              but for my normal daily beater i preffer to get second hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by derricko View Post
                                For middle level 1000~3000, i prefer new. For higher level >3000, 2nd hand.

because the resale value for expensive watch usually suffer higher losses.

$8000 watches loss of 20% is 1600
                                $2000 watches loss of 20% is only 400. Hence my decision is based on this calculation.
                                thats a great theory to abide to

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X