Removal of old inactive sale threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of old inactive sale threads

May I propose that any WTS/WTT/WTB threads be directly removed (either automatically by system or manually by mods) if they are inactive for a certain period, says 3 or 6 months.

Since we are using this forum for trading free of charge, I think all of us should take responsibility and put in a little bit more effort to monitor and update our sale threads. The trading forums would then be "cleaner" and more up-to-date, and our volunteer mods would not need to waste their time in sending reminders.

The TS can always start a new thread if he/she still need to sell/trade/buy the item after the old thread is gone.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

The TS can always start a new thread if he/she still need to sell/trade/buy the item after the old thread is gone.

that's a good suggestion bro but for the highlighted in red will be a small issue, there bound to be someone out there lazy to check and see whether their thread had been removed and start to recreate new thread and there will be multiple thread selling the same stuff over and over again.

Maybe we can think of ways to fine tune it.
    累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

one of the purpose for keeping the thread around is to allow members to compare price. this is one way to ensure that there is more transparency to help members from not paying excessive price.

mods can help clean up. but already so much work to do by monitoring members who do not post in relevant section. post items without reading rules and regulations. still want to put additional work load on only few active mods?

you hit it on the nail. be responsible. but some are not. so how?

any suggestions/feedback is welcome

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
      May I propose that any WTS/WTT/WTB threads be directly removed (either automatically by system or manually by mods) if they are inactive for a certain period, says 3 or 6 months.

Since we are using this forum for trading free of charge, I think all of us should take responsibility and put in a little bit more effort to monitor and update our sale threads. The trading forums would then be "cleaner" and more up-to-date, and our volunteer mods would not need to waste their time in sending reminders.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Maybe I was not clear enough. By inactive, I mean "open" WTS/WTT/WTB threads that are not updated by TS as sold/traded/found after some time.

As it is, our mods (particularly Ocean) have had to "up" these open threads to ask for update. Hence my idea is to straight away remove these threads when they become "expired" which would make the job easier for the mods.

Those threads that are properly closed by the TS by indicating sold/traded/found should still be moved to the "items sold" forum for record and for members to compare prices.

Comment

Originally posted by illusion84 View Post

that's a good suggestion bro but for the highlighted in red will be a small issue, there bound to be someone out there lazy to check and see whether their thread had been removed and start to recreate new thread and there will be multiple thread selling the same stuff over and over again.

Maybe we can think of ways to fine tune it.
          It is more convenient to find one's sale thread and up it, as comapared to creating a duplicate one. Hence I do not think it is a normal behaviour for a seller to duplicate a sale thread unless he intend to change some info in the sale thread or for some other reasons. I do observe that some sellers create duplicate sale threat that is exactly the same as the old one which is still not closed. One reason I could make out of that behaviour, is that the seller migh feel that the old thread has been "up" too many times thus giving people the impression that the watch is not desired and as a result he/she might not have a good bargaining power.

My point is, you already have this issue of duplicate threads today (though not serious), and by force-removing the inactive threads should not make the situaion worse.

Comment

My no value opinion....

If bandwidth is no issue.....the let these inscribe threads just drop to the back....mod also no need to be bother to follow up.

If want to save bandwidth, the set a automatic deletion of such threads after 6 months...also no need mods to monitor.

Some sellers come in post to sell, then they disappear and never log in so can't get them to follow up.

For price reference purpose, the sold section is more realistic as it was a done deal. WTS prices are not very realistic plus may not be relevant after 6 months as prices might have changes.

Comment

actually, there are some current active sellers who appear from time to time and then create duplicate threads. if you noticed some threads are exact same post. no change in price. better still, some even up their selling price for one reason or another. some mods including myself have taken time to merge such threads together.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              It is more convenient to find one's sale thread and up it, as comapared to creating a duplicate one. Hence I do not think it is a normal behaviour for a seller to duplicate a sale thread unless he intend to change some info in the sale thread or for some other reasons. I do observe that some sellers create duplicate sale threat that is exactly the same as the old one which is still not closed. One reason I could make out of that behaviour, is that the seller migh feel that the old thread has been "up" too many times thus giving people the impression that the watch is not desired and as a result he/she might not have a good bargaining power.

My point is, you already have this issue of duplicate threads today (though not serious), and by force-removing the inactive threads should not make the situaion worse.
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
              2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

your opinion and everyone else has value. it is such feedback which gives the administration to consider.

currently the administration is the process of considering increasing bandwidth due to higher usage.

the idea of pruning threads have been around for couple of years. administration is still considering, this is because we have encountered a small number of sellers coming back to sell the same item. also need to consider if we want to archive it or delete it.

administration thanks everyone for your feedback. hopefully we can find a solution to cater to all needs.

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                My no value opinion....

If bandwidth is no issue.....the let these inscribe threads just drop to the back....mod also no need to be bother to follow up.

If want to save bandwidth, the set a automatic deletion of such threads after 6 months...also no need mods to monitor.

Some sellers come in post to sell, then they disappear and never log in so can't get them to follow up.

For price reference purpose, the sold section is more realistic as it was a done deal. WTS prices are not very realistic plus may not be relevant after 6 months as prices might have changes.

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

I suggest mods to send reminders as a private message to only the owners of the inactive threads instead of flooding the garage as it is really messy and disturbing.

Comment

im particularly fond on purging of old threads, as buyers tend to use previous threads as an indicative figure of price. archiving would be a better alternative, but if im not wrong, will incur a higher cost (in terms of storage/bandwidth/etc)
                    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                    Blue 6694
                    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Thank you for your feedback, another member has already alerted me to the concerns. have acted on it.

thank you both and the rest who are shy to feedback to the administration and/or mod.

SG-ROC apologises to all for all the inconvienience caused. thank you for your patience and kind understanding.

Originally posted by Twist View Post
                      I suggest mods to send reminders as a private message to only the owners of the inactive threads instead of flooding the garage as it is really messy and disturbing.

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

Comment

your views are valid. the reasons why mods are not deleting or removing threads is for couple of reasons.

1) sg-roc is letting thread starters to be responsible for their threads. it is a free service provided for members. the mods in this forum are doing this for the love of this forum. they are not paid so they should not be tasked to do more than necessary.

2) and yes, sg-roc can perform automated tasks and to prevent any misunderstanding if thread starters comes back and questions the mods for removing without prior informing.

Originally posted by larry88
                        I suggest that all threads that are older than a period of time (eg, 6 months) to be removed or deleted.

if anyone is keen on selling their watch and not updating their thread after 6 months, chances are they have sold it or changed their mind and dont even bother to update the threads and either way, warrants the mod to remove these threads.

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

Triton,

I think most of us understand that the mods are voluntary and should not be burdened with more unnecessary or non value-add tasks. Which is exactly why larry88 and myslef suggested that the very old sale threads be removed straight away, be it manually or automatically. For the mods to send reminders is actually an extra work, as they eventually still have to remove the threads when there is no response - I guess there are more cases where there is no response to the reminder than those who has a response, as many of these TS do not log on regularly. Will getting the TS to respond and give instruction to close the thread make them more responsible in this forum in future? I have my doubt.

In view of the fast increase in membership and number of posts in sg-roc and the constraint with resources to continue to provide free service, I think you may have to take a slightly different approach to maintain and upkeep the forum in a more efficient way. I think so long the rules are clear, no one should complain or question the mods. For the few who does, the mods can simply point to the rules.

In ebay, sellers who use it for free are given up to a max 10 days to sell their stuff. If an item is unsold and the ad not relisted within 90 days after its expiry, the ad will be removed.

Comment

thank you for your feedback. there are other reasons why the threads are kept there.

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

Regarding old post

Just wanna suggest Mod implementing rule like post not update within 2 months will be automatically close. Pardon me if there is already such a rule.
                              Cos I noticed Mod have been very helpful with checking for update in many old posting. It may cause some confusion. With this rule Mod can save the trouble of checking individual post every time.

Cheers

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X