Resale Value - Panerai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the first place, when has Panerai ever "command any premium"

If you are referring to "big markdown" from a second-hand watch shop/dealer, it is normal. These shops/dealers will normally (by their standards) give you VERY low prices for watches, especially the less-saleable-models. It depends on your threshold for losses.

By far and for the past years, I observe only ROLEX and Panerai retain their resale values better (meaning less losses) but I have to qualify that it is only certain models, not across the brands. So I don't know your expectations of Panerai.

As for "limited edition" watches, it is not unique to just Panerai. To me, the Panerai DNA is unique. Not their numerous other watch models
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

can elaborate on the underlined sentence? i don't understand.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      To me, the Panerai DNA is unique. Not their numerous other watch models
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

As mentioned by Oceanklassik, some models retain value better than the others just like any brand including Rolex. The increasing nunber of models means overall supply has gone up and consumers have more choices and that has a negative impact on the prices.

Since most models look rather similar, many who want a PAM are not willing to spend on the more expensive models. That explains why the resale price of a 112 is not much higher than that of a 0 or 5 although list price of 112 is much higher than those 2 models (112 > 0 by USD1400).

Last but not least, while the prices on the forums may be a good gauge for resale prices, don't believe everything you see
        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

panerai is not for you
          look elsewhere

Originally posted by amitabh View Post
          what do you think ..has PAM bubble finally burst? Does this brand command any more premium?

thoughts ...experience ..pl. share if ok to put your hard earned money on this ?

Comment

Yes the value surely have dipped and a great number of loyal fanboys lost.

All in the name of business. Panerai Richemont have owners and shareholders to answer to and like every other business, profits are #1 top priority and even if that means they have to churn out more and more models, that's what they will be doing.

With the oversupply of unlimited limited Special Editions, what's there to be really Special then? Since there are many many Special Editions coming out from Panerai, one is spoilt for choices depending on one's budget and preference.

And with over 700 plus models that has been produced and currently being produced, (not including vintages and PreVs) one can only hope that the Panerai they bought (if its for the purpose of appreciating value) will at least break even.

But what really throws the loyal fanboys off was Panerai's approach to "recycle" Special Editions with just some minor differences.

Both the above Special Editions looks pretty identical isn't it? Surely it causes unhappiness for the owners of the earlier produced ones. And also let's not forget what Sig Bonati said during a media interview that the 382 will never be reproduced, specifically the material Bronze. And two years later, 507 came out.

Somehow or other, one or more factors as mentioned above effect the resale value of Panerais now. Well...good for buyers but unfortunate for sellers.

I believe across the board, all Panerai models have taken a hit. Take a look at the Fiddy, PreVs even bronzo and also the 360 have taken a hit from the peak it once reached. Those that are holding value are the latest released ones which are in current demand but like any other Panerai models, once the demand dies or another more hotter release comes out, it will suffer the same fate as its previous siblings. And mind you, these are the SEs. The regular limited production ones are experiencing pretty much similar outcome. It's only worth the price someone else is willing to pay for.

http://www.sgrolexclub.com/threads/1...pecial-Edition

p.s. I did not include other brands in this discussion as it's intended for Panerai specifically. And since this topic is regarding the resale value, I have not included the milestone and achievement plus the direction Panerai have made towards becoming a watch manufacturer with their inhouse calibres and some unique "out of the ordinary" pieces they have produced as of late.

'It ain't how hard you hit;
            it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
            How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
            That's how winning is done.'

Comment

jokers
              *tsk tsk

Comment

Originally posted by amitabh View Post
                I was just scouting around for watches ,and wanted to trade my PAM (will not state the series, as some bros who own it would not like that). However I was unable to get a fair value for the same . ultimately i was able to trade ...but at a big markdown .

what do you think ..has PAM bubble finally burst? Does this brand command any more premium?

thoughts ...experience ..pl. share if ok to put your hard earned money on this ?
                not as good as before does not mean bubble burst. Luckily, bubble did not burst.
                Resale value still better than many brands though it may not be as good or as hype as before.
                If can name only FOUR better resale value brand, i will think it will be Rolex, Patek, AP, Panerai. During the Panerai hype, it is in my top 4. Now (after the hype), it is still in my top 4. I may be incorrect, but that is my personal opinion.

Comment

Every brand have higher resale models and many lower resale models.

if you can get a 390 at 5k, I say bubble burst.
                  Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Let me know if someone is selling at "burst price" so I can get yet another PAM

Comment

I have been quietly monitoring certain base models of PAM as I desired to own one and recently the prices did seems to have hiked up a bit - like 10%?
                      Life is a gamble. It's either you win or you lose. But if you don't even dare to try... You are destined to be a loser

Comment

Ryuden has said it all.

To TS, if you bought brand new, be prepared to lose quite a fair bit. If you bought resale then not too bad, selling to shops will always be painful as they are running a business. ("this model hard to sell… blah blah the usual BS")

If you have the patience to try the forum, then maybe lesser pain.

Jiayou!
                        Current pieces:
                        Tag Heuer Pilot Chronograph
                        Tag Heuer 2000
                        Evant Tropic Diver Bronze Green
                        Le Jour Mk I - 001
                        IWC Portuguese 7-Days
                        PAM 104
                        PAM 233
                        PAM 716
                        Rolex 16570 (Polar)

Rolex 16234
                        Rolex 116900 (Air-King)
                        Rolex 114060
                        Several Seiko New & Vintage

Wish-list 2018:
                        More Seikos
                        Rolex 126710BLRO (GMT2)

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                          can elaborate on the underlined sentence? i don't understand.
                          I was responding to TS' query about the many 'look-alike' models of Panerai. Panerai has created a unique watch design, excellent brand image and probably great marketing strategy. However, over the years, they keep coming out near similar designs and numerous models which did not seem anymore 'fresher'.

Maybe it's just me but the many newer models that come out over recent years aren't as 'explosive' anymore. Look at the resale price range of the 312s and 351s?
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Donno about you guys, but I lost track of the models after the 3 series ...
                            Anyway, just disposed of my 190H, so I am Pam-less ... for now.
                            Waiting for a 44mm version of the 372 or 587; I believe sooner or later it will come.
                            For present pieces, while prices have softened, they are still not low enough to tempt me to get one.

Ender
                            "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                            three times is enemy action and
                            over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                            ."

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                              Donno about you guys, but I lost track of the models after the 3 series ...
                              Anyway, just disposed of my 190H, so I am Pam-less ... for now.
                              Waiting for a 44mm version of the 372 or 587; I believe sooner or later it will come.
                              For present pieces, while prices have softened, they are still not low enough to tempt me to get one.

Ender
                              Exact sentiments
                              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I am a PAM lover, i have owned , PAM 359, PAM 275, and TODAY I WENT AND BOUGHT A PAM 317 THE BLACK KNIGHT !!!!!!!

Now , i shelled out a fortune on this one !! but is my investment safe ....can i get the value back for the watch once i decide to sell say a year from now ..time will only tell. As bro Ruyden had said Panerai has been producing limited editions at such a break neck speed that the market is flooded with these watches from top to bottom . We must not forget the first rule of luxury products ..scarcity. I am sure everyone who knows PAM would agree that the watch is much much more available than every before... this does impact the resale value of the watches . In my own limited experience i have seen the value of the PAM Base model slip by as much as 1 k in the last 3 years for the second hand market ...but again on second thought that might be a function of the age of the watch

I feel that PAM is getting into a mass production frenzy without realizing that in this world scarcity determins the value not availability

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X