X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No comments, excep may be ... ermmm ..... you're
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

i would be happy to perform some calculations for you. however, it is technically beyond me because there are too many variables involve -
      • how long is the watch on wrist in each position (sleeping [no movement])
      • what is the angle of your movement with watch on wrist each time you move
      • what is the time taken for the angle of movement
      • other variables

when a watch is placed on winder, the angle of rotation is fixed, the rotation per day is fixed, the direction is fixed, this would aid to compute the TPD.

Originally posted by Throttle
      wow, this is really technical stuff.

i have worn my Sub for a long long time without taking it off except for a few moments to water wash it.
      what would that be equivalent to in terms of winding?
      [longlong time = months and years]
      perhaps a little extreme for some folks but i wear it to sleep as well as to bath and to do everything else.
      at times i could be stark naked except for the sub on my wrist

any comments?
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

wearing the watch helps wind up the watch.

Originally posted by Throttle
        i dont know anything about winding.
        i just wear the watch and thats winding to me.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Seriously in your case, no need winder la
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

lets not all get wound up over all this..........
            ROLEX.

Comment

Lol!!!

Comment

Well I did asked before to one reputable watch smith in the US via e-mail and he responded:

Automatic watches contain something called a 'Slipping Mainspring'. It was invented by Adrien Philippe. What it does is allow the simultaneous winding of two or more mainspring barrels. The spring allows the mainspring to slide or slip a few degrees relative to the inside of the barrel while still staying fully wound. The end of the slipping spring moves from one groove to another on the inside the barrel, stopping each time, thereby keeping the spring under constant tension. It maintains outward pressure on the outermost coil of the mainspring. At less than full wind, the mechanism or 'bridle' as it is sometimes called, applies pressure causing the outer tip of the spring to catch in a notch in the barrel wall and maintain its position. As the mainspring reaches full wind, the outer end of the spring jumps out of the notch and releases tension by slipping across the smooth section of the barrel wall until it catches in the next notch. This prevents overwinding.

Now the 'bridle' can sometimes slide along the barrel wall before excess pressure is passed to the going train which causes a problem known as “banking.” This banking occurs when the balance amplitude is too high and the impulse jewel strikes the back of the horns of the pallet fork. The “bridle” must also grip the barrel wall sufficiently. If it slips down too fast or too slow then you get what is referred to as “mainspring creep”. This will damage the watch and result in shortened power reserve.

Comment

Wow I just finish reading the 8 pages of discussion but I am confused. At a very layman view:
                  So a winder is suppose to help wind the automatic watch to prevent it from stopping but at the same time it must not over wind. Am I right?

Also the power reserve in a watch will mean that when fully wind, if it has a 3 day power reserve, it can maintain and time will continue running for the next 72 hours even if it is left on the table. So if that's the case, we shld not fully wind a watch if we are going to wear it for a whole day as it will be over winding? Am I right?

Lastly does it matter if a watch is placed in winder or not as from the discussion, placing the watch in the winder has many things to consider. Will it make a difference if we just keep the watch in a locker and when we need to wear it, swing it a few times to set the time and date will be better?

Thanks.

Comment

i have 2 winders... one for my daily wear watch anf te other bigge rone for the other watches... cause it troublesome ot unlock teh wonder everytime you wanna take out a watch...nw a days those digital display ones look great...but i wont spend more than $300 on a winder...at lesat for now untill my watches justify it...

Comment

Originally posted by Terras14 View Post
                      Wow I just finish reading the 8 pages of discussion but I am confused. At a very layman view:
                      So a winder is suppose to help wind the automatic watch to prevent it from stopping but at the same time it must not over wind. Am I right?

Also the power reserve in a watch will mean that when fully wind, if it has a 3 day power reserve, it can maintain and time will continue running for the next 72 hours even if it is left on the table. So if that's the case, we shld not fully wind a watch if we are going to wear it for a whole day as it will be over winding? Am I right?

Lastly does it matter if a watch is placed in winder or not as from the discussion, placing the watch in the winder has many things to consider. Will it make a difference if we just keep the watch in a locker and when we need to wear it, swing it a few times to set the time and date will be better?

Thanks.
                      I just follow Orbita's database and programme my pod accordingly.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

organise seminar on watches?

Very good idea!
                          posting of commercial products in profile is not allowed.

please read the forum faq thread - advisory for members

for advertising, please email administrator@sg-roc.com

Comment

I believed this was what happened to one of my jlc watches as after some time the power reserve depleted very quickly and when I brought it for repairs, they mentioned it was due to over winding...

Also the person advised not to gpfully wind the watch before wearing...

Comment

wow. after reading this, i didn't know is not easy to choose a winder but i already bought 1 from taobao, china site.

I found my 2 watches from the orbita website database. 1 tag calibre 16 and loginess master collection L678. Both require 800TPD CW.

Not sure how to adjust my winder to fit the requirement without over... There's no TPD numer to set

There are 4 options
                              1) CW 2 minutes, stop 6 minutes repeat
                              2) CCW 2 minutes, stop 6 minutes repeat
                              3) CW 2 minutes, stop 6 minutes, CCW 2 minutes stop 6 minutes repeat
                              4) CW 5 minutes, CCW 5 minutes, continue this for 3 hours, stop 9 hours, repeat

which one is the best option? obviously option 2 won't work at all ya?

Comment

i would suggest that you on the winder and see how many rotations it performs in 1 min.

there are 1440 mins(24 hours) in a day

for option 1, one cycle is 8 mins, therefore it will perform 180 cycles. once you have the number of rotations per min, multiple it by 2 followed by 180, this will give you the TPD

using the above as an example, i believe you can do the rest of the calculations on your own.

alternatively, you can call the seller who sold you the winder to ask for the TPD.

Originally posted by patrickl33 View Post
                                wow. after reading this, i didn't know is not easy to choose a winder but i already bought 1 from taobao, china site.

I found my 2 watches from the orbita website database. 1 tag calibre 16 and loginess master collection L678. Both require 800TPD CW.

Not sure how to adjust my winder to fit the requirement without over... There's no TPD numer to set

There are 4 options
                                1) CW 2 minutes, stop 6 minutes repeat
                                2) CCW 2 minutes, stop 6 minutes repeat
                                3) CW 2 minutes, stop 6 minutes, CCW 2 minutes stop 6 minutes repeat
                                4) CW 5 minutes, CCW 5 minutes, continue this for 3 hours, stop 9 hours, repeat

which one is the best option? obviously option 2 won't work at all ya?

kindly email with
                                2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X