Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do understand that RSC need to make money. if not how their staff wear rolex?

there are other places where you can send in your watch for overhaul.

people's park complex, one with many money changers. one who operates one of the kiosk was a former RSC technician.

if @ toa payoh, there is cabin time. horologyfanatic is his nick here.

east side @ golden landmark also have.

click here for servicing for 100 by sportee

Originally posted by datejust97 View Post
    Was then asked if I wanted a overhaul, includes changing crystal n hands, oil, "tuning" n the rest...cost $850+

Actually I was ok with the cost as I think just do it for peace of mind, but then they said it'll take 5 weeks! Wow so long! I didn't go for it.

Any bros here know if they have a shorter "package" n service time, maybe a simple service + oiling that won't take so long? 2-3 days can accept, but 1 over month is too long. How to bear being apart from my beloved for so long ?? kekeke
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

• Hi thanks for the replies..

For the PP Complex, you mean the shop where it sells alot preown Rolexes, on the ground floor?

Comment

• I overhauled mine at RSC. Got a 2 years warranty and the watch came back as good as new. It even looks brand new because of the polishing. Even though it cost me S$700+. It took a little over 2 weeks even though they said it would take 5 weeks.

I don't know whether I had overpaid, but I was very happy with the service and the product and that was the important thing. Considering I have never serviced my watch before (my watch is 15 years old), the S$700+ I paid was insignificant.

Comment

• Originally posted by whiskyrum View Post
          I overhauled mine at RSC. Got a 2 years warranty and the watch came back as good as new. It even looks brand new because of the polishing. Even though it cost me S$700+. It took a little over 2 weeks even though they said it would take 5 weeks.

I don't know whether I had overpaid, but I was very happy with the service and the product and that was the important thing. Considering I have never serviced my watch before (my watch is 15 years old), the S$700+ I paid was insignificant.
          I agree and I sent my DJ for service recently (after 17 years). it cost me $750 all in. It came back spanking new. I don't think i need to service the watch, easily for the next 5-8 years, so at 70/yr, and more importantly, for a peace of mind, it is worth it.

Comment

• You did your first overhaul after 17 years? Actually is there a guide as to what's the recommended age before a watch is due for servicing, like a car?

Comment

• One thing to think about is that for a vintage watch, you may not actually want it to come back looking brand new, cos it will just lose all its vintage value. Many collectors wouldn't want a vintage that has hands, dial or case changed, remember also that a new case means the old serial no is gone..

Servicing the movement but keeping everything else as original as possible is the usual route for vintage.. rsc may or may not do this.. but as the bros have said, there are independents who understand this,,

Comment

• RSC Verification

Hi,
                when you sent a vintage rolex to RSC for verification and at the end of it, they issue you a receipt of $75, what does it really mean ?
                Does it mean that the watch :
                - has all the parts authentic ? i.e. dial, hands, movement and serial numbers ?
                - has all the matching parts for that era / production period ?
                - everything is original i.e. nothing was changed ?
                - or only that the serial number for that model exist in their database ?

Could some experts share your advice please.

Thanks

Comment

• the item description should be service charge. amount 75. usually this only indicate that it has been authenticated.

yes it means all parts are authentic. however does the watch match the serial number is on your part. if there is no rolex chapter ring, then the serial number is engraved on the case @ the 6 o'clock position. bring the paper down and ask them to read to you the serial number to confirm. else you can verify the serial number on watch and warranty card yourself.

as to matching parts for that era. yes/no. they dont tell you. you have to do homework on your own. however, they will only tell you that there is a mismatch bezel or bracelet where it is suppose to be white gold but you have a TT bezel, etc.

everything is original? as in when produced? they cant tell you because if it has been serviced. how to know it is original. however, if you referring to original rolex parts used. yes, they can tell. if not original, they return you the watch. however, for some vintage piece like 6694 where non original arcylic crystal and/or hands things like that they will inform you.

as for serial number exist in database. what you mean?

Originally posted by cmclee View Post
                  Hi,
                  when you sent a vintage rolex to RSC for verification and at the end of it, they issue you a receipt of $75, what does it really mean ?
                  Does it mean that the watch :
                  - has all the parts authentic ? i.e. dial, hands, movement and serial numbers ?
                  - has all the matching parts for that era / production period ?
                  - everything is original i.e. nothing was changed ?
                  - or only that the serial number for that model exist in their database ?

Could some experts share your advice please.

Thanks
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

• My friend sent in his 1680 for verification and was told to wait for 2 days as they need to check with Geneva regarding the serial number. Is that usually the case ?

Comment

• It's really tricky to handle vintage, especially rollies. Like some bros here have mentioned before, don't touch them unless you have learned enough of the piece you wanna buy. But what triton just shared here (authenticated not equal to all parts matching) is also new to me so thanks for the info!
                      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

• Originally posted by cmclee View Post
                        My friend sent in his 1680 for verification and was told to wait for 2 days as they need to check with Geneva regarding the serial number. Is that usually the case ?
                        no, this is not usually the case. it depends on the person checking the watch and his experience. it happened to me, but geneva reported back that my watch is okay.

RSC wants to make sure that the serial number tallies with the case (ie, the number was recorded in switzerland as being issued TO that model).

if they call your friend to tell him that the serial number does not match, they will not issue paperwork...
                        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

• Originally posted by triton View Post
                          ...yes it means all parts are authentic.

...if you referring to original rolex parts used. yes, they can tell. if not original, they return you the watch. however, for some vintage piece like 6694 where non original arcylic crystal and/or hands things like that they will inform you.
                          i would not be too quick to jump to a "yes, the entire thing is original as i have a $75 receipt from RSC" because certain components can only be confirmed as a genuine part after disassembly.

most of us have all been through the verification process at one time or other... the man will look at the watch very carefully from the outside after removing the bracelet.

he will then open the case and check the movement carefully, then note the movement serial, then check the inside of the case back.

even with his video microscope... i have my doubts that based on THAT process, the man can be 100% sure the ENTIRE watch is genuine.

as such, the receipt only serves to prove that:

1. the watch has been handled by RSC.

2. based on a visual inspection, RSC thinks it's not a replica.

please note that the receipt does not even specifically state point #2. therefore a few implied points are:

3. RSC reserves the right to withdraw that opinion once the watch has been disassembled and non-genuine items are found within.

4. RSC reserves the right to refuse to service the watch even if a $75 receipt has been issued 10 minutes ago.

further (if i'm not wrong), the "verification receipt" is not itemized and as such, it will NOT state what is not genuine (eg, acrylic crystal) or erroneous (eg, bezel) - this is told VERBALLY to whomever is at the counter.
                          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

• im not very good with english, so what you are trying to say is that the 75 does not hold value based on the four points.

i like to understand more what you mean by point 2 - visual inspection = just looking or looking and dis-assemble the watch to have to closer look under the loupe.

scenario is that after authentication, i pay 75. they tell me that the watch needs a service. i collect the watch tells them that i sit @ the waiting area to think about it. 10 minutes later i go back tell them that i want to service the watch and they can reject to service my watch? (this is in reference to your point 4 which i underlined and bold). on what grounds they can reject. have you encountered this?

then i think we should feedback to RSC that they need to explictly state that the $75 (service charge) be changed to $75 (authentication fee) since we are asking for an authentication. however, you are right to state that the receipt at no point in time explictly state that the $75 is meant for authentication fee which means may not be legal binding.

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                            i would not be too quick to jump to a "yes, the entire thing is original as i have a $75 receipt from RSC" because certain components can only be confirmed as a genuine part after disassembly.

most of us have all been through the verification process at one time or other... the man will look at the watch very carefully from the outside after removing the bracelet.

he will then open the case and check the movement carefully, then note the movement serial, then check the inside of the case back.

even with his video microscope... i have my doubts that based on THAT process, the man can be 100% sure the ENTIRE watch is genuine.

as such, the receipt only serves to prove that:

1. the watch has been handled by RSC.

2. based on a visual inspection, RSC thinks it's not a replica.

please note that the receipt does not even specifically state point #2. therefore a few implied points are:

3. RSC reserves the right to withdraw that opinion once the watch has been disassembled and non-genuine items are found within.

4. RSC reserves the right to refuse to service the watch even if a $75 receipt has been issued 10 minutes ago.

further (if i'm not wrong), the "verification receipt" is not itemized and as such, it will NOT state what is not genuine (eg, acrylic crystal) or erroneous (eg, bezel) - this is told VERBALLY to whomever is at the counter.

kindly email with
                            2. your nick

Comment

• My friend sent in his 1680 for verification and was told to wait for 2 days as they need to check with Geneva regarding the serial number. Is that usually the case ?
                              Did they returned the watch or the RSC kept it?

I was at HongKong a few months ago and I simply want to have the tropic crystal replaced on my 1019, they then inspected the watch to see if they have the part for it and I was told they have it. They told me however to wait for a week or two because they will check the serial # in Switzerland because the watch serial is not in their database. What it means is that the watch was not bought in an AD in HK so they need to verify the serial first, if it was bought in an AD in HK they can work on it already. It is because the watch serial could be reportedly stolen, missing, etc.

If you really want to have it "fully authenticated", then I think as some said it needs to be disassembled/serviced. But thinking about it, the only part they will 100% verify when disassembling is the dial which has markings beneath. All the other parts can be verified by simply taking off the bracelet and caseback.

Comment

• Originally posted by triton View Post
                                im not very good with english, so what you are trying to say is that...
                                you step into RSC Singapore. you go to the counter, hand over the watch, tell them you want it authenticated. they take your watch, ask for your name, address and phone number. you then step away as they put the watch into a green envelope.

the envelope is then brought into the glass room, and placed on the watchmaker's desk closest to the door. the watchmaker then takes out the watch, inspects the watch with AND without a loupe. he will make notes as to the physical condition of the watch's exterior.

he will then remove the bracelet, and he will examine the bracelet (now or later). he will scribble more notes about the condition of the bracelet.

he then proceeds to view the watch under the electron video microscope. he makes more notes. he then removes the back of the watch - he examines the inside of the watch, the case back, and the movement with a loupe. more note scribbling. he might even look at the gasket (rubber 'o' ring).

he then inspects the movement under the electron video microscope. more scribbling. this is what he will see:

this is a picture of the bare movement:

this is the rotor assembly.

if you remove the rotor, you will see this:

if you remove the balance, you will see this:

more stuff removed, and you get this:

at no time is the dial (nor hands) removed to see this (or to examine the back of the dial):

when all is done, the watchmaker will close the watch case, return it to its green envelope, and someone will bring it to the counter and you wait for your name to be called, or for them to give you a call on the phone.

therefore, we can conclude, your $75 is paid for a watchmaker to look at picture 1, the dial, hands, case, bezel, crystal, case back and bracelet.

that fee also allows them to damage your watch (eg, lugs) in the process, allow them to note down your movement's serial number, case model number, case serial number, bracelet code and model number.

if they were to be satisfied based on picture 1, dial, hands, case and bracelet that it's genuine, they will issue you a receipt and charge you $75 for that process.

if you walked out, then return 10 minutes later with the same watch for service, and if you are unlucky such that they find a few items that are not genuine rolex parts hidden inside the movement, they will change it to genuine parts and bill you accordingly.

they may or may not notify you. it may or may not be important. if they decide one day, for whatever reason, to refuse to service a watch IF there's one/any part inside that movement that is not genuine... then what good is that $75 paid?

the good (and bad) news is, most of the inner workings of the rolex movement are easily replaced - anywhere, including RSC, or even at an indonesian market stall.

the bad (or good) news is that, most of the time, we may not know because their service receipt is not itemized, nor do they return the parts to us.

some say ignorance is bliss. therefore... it's really up to you to decide if the pre-owned watch you have bought is 100% genuine.

the only way to GUARANTEE that it is ENTIRELY 101% genuine and original is to send it for a full $1,000 RSC service, not a $75 visual inspection.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X