Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please - GMT II or Explorer II or Sub as a gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triton has explained to you quite clearly on choosing between those models you mentioned.

To answer your question in re to funtions of a watch. To me, I do!

I am not saying I will wear my watch to dive into the ocean but let me tell you why I got my 1st Rolex Sub in the first place. In my teens, I save and save and save... finally managed to buy myself a BAUME & MERCIER watch. One day, water got into the watch for no reason. Tried to send it for repair but cannot. Very sad and angry. So I told myself, if I buy myself another expensive watch, it has to be WATER-PROOF!

Originally posted by Sugar View Post
    I do have another silly question though - do ppl buy the submariner because of its functions? As in, is this watch meant more for divers? We are actually still learning swimming.....

Also, I note that between the Sea Dweller 16600 and the Submariner 16610LV, they have the same list price? I can't really tell what's the difference between the 2 watches from the pics on the net. Except that the sea dweller does not have the "magnifying" glass thingy on the date. Is that an important attribute of Rolex watches?

Xie xie and have a nice weekend everyone!

Comment

Hahahaha...ask SUGAR's DADDY to buy all 3 can already lor

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
        Triton has explained to you quite clearly on choosing between those models you mentioned.

To answer your question in re to funtions of a watch. To me, I do!

I am not saying I will wear my watch to dive into the ocean but let me tell you why I got my 1st Rolex Sub in the first place. In my teens, I save and save and save... finally managed to buy myself a BAUME & MERCIER watch. One day, water got into the watch for no reason. Tried to send it for repair but cannot. Very sad and angry. So I told myself, if I buy myself another expensive watch, it has to be WATER-PROOF!
        Now...we hav to be careful with the word proof...more like...RESISTANT

Comment

I think the GMTIIc will hold its resale value better over the future than either the explorer II or the sub.

The Explorer II will probably be updated next year and the SS Sub the year after.

Comment

If u decide to buy a sub and to get it at the local AD,then i suggest u may want to go down to people's park chinatown.Shop is KHH.You can get a discount compared to other ADs which often sell them at fixed price.Damage wld be abt 7.7k to 7.8k(cash).Cheers and gd luck.
            Submariner is a great watch.

Comment

My AD always tell me to bring that someone over to choose the watch if I were to give as a gift...as the watches are different in bracelet (jubilee vs oyster), watch face, bezel etc...as you can't change the watch if he dosen't like...but I strongly believe he will like anyone of those!
              present
              rolex submariner
              rolex explorer 2
              rolex datejust
              audemars piguet royal oak chrono moonphase
              seiko emperor tuna

past
              rolex day-date
              rolex gmt 2
              corum bubble skeleton
              corum bubble gmt

Comment

Erm, i think it's more like Sugar has to buy Sugar's Daddy a watch as well....

He was reading with much interest about our discussions and was also asking if there are other brands of watches for sale.... but walked away after looking at the price of a BNIB FM. Ha.

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                Hahahaha...ask SUGAR's DADDY to buy all 3 can already lor

Comment

Wow, thanks for the tip! I will definitely go down to this place as well to check it out. Damage is.....painful.

A friend of mine recommended this shop at Beach Road as well, the place where guys buy their army stuff. My first comment was "Huh? You sure the place is right?!" Does anyone know if this is true?

Originally posted by tribal762000 View Post
                  If u decide to buy a sub and to get it at the local AD,then i suggest u may want to go down to people's park chinatown.Shop is KHH.You can get a discount compared to other ADs which often sell them at fixed price.Damage wld be abt 7.7k to 7.8k(cash).Cheers and gd luck.
                  Submariner is a great watch.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the tip! I will definitely go down to this place as well to check it out. Damage is.....painful.

A friend of mine recommended this shop at Beach Road as well, the place where guys buy their army stuff. My first comment was "Huh? You sure the place is right?!" Does anyone know if this is true?
                    Alfred Png....yes it's true. BUt nah...I wont buy from this guy...I got my dealer haha

Comment

Alfred is operating out of one of the shops @ golden mile hawker centre.

he deals mainly in pre-own watches. so unless u want pre-own, u may want to pop in. otherwise visit the AD to get brand new

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Hiya Sugar... WELCOME to SG-ROC forum.....

Subbie to me is a real gem as a gift and as a first present. If you wallet allows it, go for the GMT II ceremic (newer version) which is the 116710. Either of these two will take your hubby-to-be's breath away.

Good luck shopping and make sure you do some leg work to compare the various prices from different ADs to save you being burnt and of a bad shopping experience.

Maybe after you have given your gift to your hubby-to-be, then intro him to our forum.. I am sure he will enjoy it if he generally likes watches... then we can posion him to get you a nice watch as well..

Have a great weekend.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                        - GMT II
                        - GMT IIc TT
                        - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                        - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                        - U1
                        - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Depand of his hobby

if he is:...

A flyer buy GMT 2
                          A diver buy Sub
                          A Mountainer buy Exp
                          A flyer & Mountaineer buy GMT 2
                          A flyer & diver buy GMT 2 & Sub
                          A Mountaineer & diver buy GMT 2 & Sub
                          A flyer, Mountaineer & diver buy GMT 2 & Sub
                          None of the above, buy either the most ex or cheapest, no one remember if is in between.

Hope that helps

SS Daytona Black Dial,
                          SS GMT II coke, SS GMT IIC, TT GMT IIC,
                          SS Sub Date, TT Sub Date Black,
                          SS SD,
                          SS YM,
                          SS YM Mid Size,

Comment

In terms of choices, buy submariner in my view

Hi everyone

Would appreciate any advice you can possibly give between the 3 models listed below? I am thinking of getting it as a bday present for my hubby to be.

1. Explorer II - black face (Quoted S$7.3k at Suntec)
                            2. GMT II 16710B Pepsi with 3186 (I see someone fm forum selling for $9.5k - is that a good price?)
                            3. Submariner 16610 (I see from the list price that it's one of the few other sporty watches within my budget).

As it's a surprise gift, i can't actually go ask my fiance about his preference. Would you be able to offer any advice on the value of the watches I'd shortlisted above?

Also, as you can tell that i'm kinda clueless about rolex purchases, why do people have BNIB watches for sale? Does it mean that it was bought as an investment initially? If so, amongst the 3 listed, are any of them potentially good for investment, especially if he doesn't like the model i'd gotten him? *crossing fingers*

I see people recommending the watch shops at Lucky Plaza. I'm thinking of visiting the place there but is there any shop in particular you'd recommend? Please feel free to PM me if it's inconvenient to mention their names publicly.

Thank you so much in advance!

Comment

what watch is he wearing NOW?

Comment

Thanks lots. Now I will take up that suggestion to introduce him to the forum. Haha. But i think him getting me a nice watch is more like a few years down the road since he's spending so much for the wedding!

Think my legs will be quite tired next week from running around.

I really do like the GMT II 116710 but the list price that i read in this column indicates that it costs $9599? What would be a good price to buy this watch for? I know that for some models, the only AD i went to said that there's either no discount, or it's selling way above the recommended retail price.

And to answer tomcatf, he's really more a flyer. Divers i have met aplenty. I really do wonder how many mountaineers there are in Singapore though....

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
                                Hiya Sugar... WELCOME to SG-ROC forum.....

Subbie to me is a real gem as a gift and as a first present. If you wallet allows it, go for the GMT II ceremic (newer version) which is the 116710. Either of these two will take your hubby-to-be's breath away.

Good luck shopping and make sure you do some leg work to compare the various prices from different ADs to save you being burnt and of a bad shopping experience.

Maybe after you have given your gift to your hubby-to-be, then intro him to our forum.. I am sure he will enjoy it if he generally likes watches... then we can posion him to get you a nice watch as well..

Have a great weekend.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X