X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice thick acrylic, alexlow!

Comment

Originally posted by r4gs View Post
      True unpolished is rare to begin with and obviously gets more and more rare the older a watch is. IMO, an expertly polished watch that retains the original design lines (lug thickness, shape and of course the gorgeous bevels) enhances the beauty of vintage and does not detract from the overall value...
      i feel compelled to add to that comment: rolex watches in the past were not polished and finished by robots but by experienced hands and can thus vary (much, much more than today) in the finished product that was sold by the AD back in the day.

an overpolished or pitted watch today is not the end of the world for an unwitting enthusiast (or cunning dealer) as micro laser welding and a re-lap (by an expert) will restore the case. this "boon" (to some) is what worries me more than seeing an overpolished watch actually, because it will get more and more difficult to recognize an untouched watch in future... and i assume nobody wants to overpay for a "restored" special...

because condition (read: originality) will always be key for determining price, experience/education is thus vital. my unpolished input to this topic and this thread ends here.
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by Alexlow View Post
        Picture update
        Luscious patina on the mk5 red and mk1 gmt! Great definition on the crown guards. The all-red GMT hand, as mythical and controversial as it is, is like cherry on a black forrest cake....

Originally posted by taxico View Post
        i feel compelled to add to that comment: rolex watches in the past were not polished and finished by robots but by experienced hands and can thus vary (much, much more than today) in the finished product that was sold by the AD back in the day.

an overpolished or pitted watch today is not the end of the world for an unwitting enthusiast (or cunning dealer) as micro laser welding and a re-lap (by an expert) will restore the case. this "boon" (to some) is what worries me more than seeing an overpolished watch actually, because it will get more and more difficult to recognize an untouched watch in future... and i assume nobody wants to overpay for a "restored" special...

because condition (read: originality) will always be key for determining price, experience/education is thus vital. my unpolished input to this topic and this thread ends here.
        Admittedly, there was much variance in Rolex polishing being they were done by hand. Regardless, Rolex QC remains of the highest standard till today and apart from the minute differences in lug thickness and different bevel profiles across the 50s to the 80s, an original unpolished case is near unmistakable. Laser-welding is a part of the 21st century and most big name watch brands have that capability to make repairs as necessary. Whether disclosed (after service or by unscrupulous dealers) is an entire discussion on ethics thereafter, but we nevertheless enjoy what remains the benchmark - thick, even and wide bevels correct to the period with perfectly lapped grain and mirror polished sides.

BTW, may be rich of me to presume, but if my guess about something military with swords at a big C's auction in Nov 13 is correct, then please PM me and tell me more
        Live for Greatness

Comment

Salivating..my gosh.

Comment

Vintage SS Datejust 6605

Hi All!

Here is my recently acquired SS 6605 with roulette date wheel.

Keep it coming !

Comment

6694 consider vintage?
              twenty-eight : 28 : XXVIII

Comment

Originally posted by r4gs View Post
                Bravo pieces! Happy to see an appreciable interest in these old Rollies....

Some group shots:

ok, this world is unfair, right there.

Comment

Hi Loudspeaker10,

6694 is vintage

Comment

WTB Rolex Daytona 16520 preferably w inverted 6

Also 1970s GMT Pepsi

Pm me details

Comment

Originally posted by zimmerit5 View Post
                      Hi All!

Here is my recently acquired SS 6605 with roulette date wheel.

Keep it coming !
                      That's quite rare indeed! Nice dauphine hands and the roulette.

Originally posted by loudspeaker10 View Post
                      6694 consider vintage?
                      Yep, post up a picture of it!

Originally posted by clemz View Post
                      WTB Rolex Daytona 16520 preferably w inverted 6

Also 1970s GMT Pepsi

Pm me details
                      16520s get exported out of Singapore a fair bit as a huge majority of the market goes for the newer 4130 movements in the modern daytonas. Still, these are plentiful overseas if u're willing to ship. 70s pepsis are aplenty, even in SG.
                      Live for Greatness

Comment

60s 1803 On A Bund Strap

I agree with r4gs on the 16520 Daytonas and the 1675 Pepsi.

here is another favourite of mine, the venerable 1803 Day-date.....

Cheers!

Comment

W series Zenith Daytona. Not the inverted 6 though and not very vintage either.

Comment

Cheers!
                            Classic daydate! Have been casually looking out for the right one. Let a brown diamond degrade 18038 go under my nose cos I wasn't sure if yellow gold is too bling!

Originally posted by bauhaus View Post
                            Nice piece!
                            Live for Greatness

Comment

Originally posted by bauhaus View Post
                              Try install a T21 dome crystal to give it a more vintage look. Not for purist though.

Comment

Cheers!
                                Nice strap-watch combi. My granddad have one of this with bark bezel and bracelet.
                                I prefer one with smooth bezel, black buckley dial on distressed leather

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X