Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting the time

Can anyone advise?

Someone told me that I am not suppose to set the watch by adjusting the hour and minute hand backwards.

For example, the watch is at 1 o'clock and I need to adjust to 12 o clock. I should still move it forward 11 rounds? Or can i do it the other way so that I just have to turn it 1 round.

Will I be spoiling any mechanism by moving it backwards?

Just curious. Thanks in advance.

nobody chap me

Comment

People havent wake up mah!

Hahaha...

Seriously...if you ask me? I dun care...but yes I heard of it before

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Actually I also don't care.

But that time when I adjust, I was adjusting other people's watch....
        Then he say this will spoil the mechanism...

I just need to know the fact ma......

If his sentence is not true.....

Comment

Originally posted by edsonchan View Post
          nobody chap me
          just woke up...sunshine heating up my bunta than i got up!

Comment

I've heard of it before too. I understand that these applies to older mechanism especially Omega and Rolex. Heard it from an old watch collector. However, current watches are definitely save to do so as watch making evolved tremendously over the years, I trust they definitely addressed this even if it's true.

So since then, I've just followed this myth whether it's based on concrete evidence or not. Just in case.

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
            - GMT II
            - GMT IIc TT
            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
            - U1
            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

I think I read somewhere before about this issue. If can, avoid doing that loh. Like date change, do it when time is from 2:00 am to 10:00pm, avoid changing the date from 10:00pm to 2:00am....

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                I think I read somewhere before about this issue. If can, avoid doing that loh. Like date change, do it when time is from 2:00 am to 10:00pm, avoid changing the date from 10:00pm to 2:00am....
                Definetly NOT happening on the modern Rolex calibers,its the ETA Valjoux 7750 chronograph movements.I remembered reading that note in my Omega speedmaster owner's manual...

Comment

this is the 'correct theory' for those watches that comes with date. this is because between 10 to 2, the changing of date mechanism are engaging its gears in place to turn the date disc.

turning it backwards MAY damage the gears and/or date disc. hence it is ADVISED not to do so when adjusting the time backwards between 10 to 2.

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Kiasu a bit is better since we all love our watches...

Comment

I think most people actually refer to grandfather clocks when they mention about refraining from adjusting the time anticlockwise.

Adjusting grandfather clocks anticlockwise would cause damage to the pinion which controls the initiating of chimes which explains why some grandfather clocks have some problem of not being able to chime it reaches the chiming hour.

Adjusting "most" hand-winding or self-winding watches in anticlockwise direction should not cause any damage to the mechanism itself.

Just a share a little to chap one leg here.

Comment

Originally posted by horologyfanatic View Post
                        I think most people actually refer to grandfather clocks when they mention about refraining from adjusting the time anticlockwise.

Adjusting grandfather clocks anticlockwise would cause damage to the pinion which controls the initiating of chimes which explains why some grandfather clocks have some problem of not being able to chime it reaches the chiming hour.

Adjusting "most" hand-winding or self-winding watches in anticlockwise direction should not cause any damage to the mechanism itself.

Just a share a little to chap one leg here.
                        Ahh...I see! Thanks for enlightening

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

IN some watches, they actually have warning that says "Winding the watch backward can cause serious damage.."
                          However, it is not a blanket statement for all watches.
                          I suppose it is a good habit to wind it only forward.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                            this is the 'correct theory' for those watches that comes with date. this is because between 10 to 2, the changing of date mechanism are engaging its gears in place to turn the date disc.

turning it backwards MAY damage the gears and/or date disc. hence it is ADVISED not to do so when adjusting the time backwards between 10 to 2.
                            I went to Sincere that day with my Corum.

I asked her how to change the date.

She just kept on turning back to 8pm and then pass the 12am time to change the date..... day by day....

Then after that I went home then realised I just need to use a tool to poke the other part of the watch to change date....

AD nowadays.... I hope she did not spoil the mechanism of the watch

Comment

Ques on Setting Diff Time Zone on GMT

Folks,
                              I got a used GMT, so it does not come with all the owner's handbooks. I tried to do a search on our forum but could not find anything meaningful.

I want to seek the advice of you, esp those with GMT. Or if there was an old thread on this , please share. Thanks in advance

My Question: if you are travelling to another country in different time zone, do you set the hour hand to Singapore time and the GMT hand (red or green needle depending on your GMT) to the time zone of the country you are visiting?

Or is it the other way around? Is there a 'correct' way of doing this? Or does it depends if the country you are visiting is ahead or behind in timezone?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X