No announcement yet.

Setting the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depending on what time you turn the time.

if you go against the natural winding direction during the between 2200 and 0200, it can potentially damage movement inside as during this period, the date mechanism can be in the process of changing date.

Originally posted by foomeng3 View Post
    Gd day to all.

Just wondering when setting time for deepsea, if we overshot e time we wanna set, izit ok to turn e crown anti clockwise direction to set e time?

Will it spoil e mechanism inside?

Thx all
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

How is date change mechanism link to time setting mechanism
      Overheard at local AD - 'rolex is going to increase price soon' :snore:

Comment

Originally posted by relac88 View Post
        How is date change mechanism link to time setting mechanism
        24hrs in a day... 1 day equals a new day = a new date.......

Not to be confused with a calendar mvmt which looks at whole year and factors in days per month / and years.
        ROLEX.

Comment

how can a time change mechanism spoil a date change mechanism or vice versa

Comment

how can a time change mechanism spoil a date change mechanism or vice versa
            the date function is based on top of the time mvmt.... think about it like the date changes at midnight right

The mechanism is generally activated in the 2hrs before AND after midnight ok.... it's mechanical ( gears etc.. ), its based on some sort of lever and cam that rotates and then clicks over to the next date some time at or before midnight...... so changing the time can it's claimed disrupt / or damage the date change mechanism on rare occasions or over time if you keep doing it.
            ROLEX.

Comment

Found on the net :

" What is the rule in changing the dates in a Swiss mechanical watch?

It is important to remember that you do not change the date when the hour hand is in between 9 and 3. The Swiss watch mechanism that is responsible for incrementing the date (wheel) does so by gradually accumulating (or building up) tension. At 12am, the accumulated tension is released and quickly applied to rotating the date wheel, hence the instant flip. I believe this mechanism accumulates tension starting at 8pm, continuing to do so until midnight, hence the need for the "8pm-2am recommendation". The safest is to simply not change the date if the time shows between 9:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m on any watch.

If you pick up a watch and the time shows between 9:00pm and 3:00am simply wait to change the date, or change the time to 6:00am and then change the date - no big deal. It actually becomes a habit after a while.

With some watches you can damage the date change mechanism. The watch will probably keep running, but the date won't change anymore. "
              ROLEX.

Comment

Looking @ all posts by this member who goes around giving other members advice, thought this member is a guru.

However a simple thing like that winding in the opposite direction that may cause damage to watch movement also dont know, yet insist that winding in opposite direction will not damage watch movement.

I suggest that other members be wary of the advice that this member is giving.

This member reminds me of another member who has ulterior motive

Comment

Definitely will not spoil
                  Originally posted by seikosiao View Post
                  Looking @ all posts by this member who goes around giving other members advice, thought this member is a guru.

However a simple thing like that winding in the opposite direction that may cause damage to watch movement also dont know, yet insist that winding in opposite direction will not damage watch movement.

I suggest that other members be wary of the advice that this member is giving.

This member reminds me of another member who has ulterior motive
                  Best to check with RSC I'd say.......
                  ROLEX.

Comment

alright cool,thx all for ur advices,think to play safe better dont turn crown anti clock wise
                    Current:
                    Rolex GMT2C TT 116713AN
                    Panerai 312N
                    Panerai 233O
                    Sevenfriday P1-2
                    Sevenfriday M2-2
                    Seiko SBBN015

Past:
                    Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller 116660G
                    Panerai 005N
                    Steinhart aviation chrono

Comment

I went down to RSC during lunch time, the watch technician came out and advise me not to wind any rolex watch 'backwards the time'. the watch technician indicate that if wind backwards the time, it may risk the watch movement being damaged.

i rather be safe than sorry.

Originally posted by Dfive View Post

Comment

I went down to RSC during lunch time, the watch technician came out and advise me not to wind any rolex watch 'backwards the time'. the watch technician indicate that if wind backwards the time, it may risk the watch movement being damaged.

Good work bro... agree with you there.
                        ROLEX.

Comment

Question is, i have been turning the crown at 10,11,12,1,2-hour positions clockwise and counter clockwise all this while but all my watches , rolex and non rolex alike, all still healthily ticking and no problem with the date functions or time functions

What gives?

Comment

Someone just did

Comment

everyone is entitled to own opinion.

however, when things turn out otherwise, in the case if the watch movement is damaged. then how? are you going to go up to the person who gave you the wrong advice and ask the person to pay for cost of repair?

it is similar to whether an automatic watch placed on a winder with higher than recommended TPD, if the watch movement is damaged, can the seller of the watch winder be responsible?

the effect of abusing the watch movement may not be seen or felt immediately, it can be many years later. i know of a moderator who takes cares of his watches with utmost care, that is why i will feel comfortable buying watches from him. in fact, i told this moderator that i want the first right of refusal should he want to sell a particular watch.

if you want to take care of your watch, it is your choice, if you want to subject it to unnecessary abuse, it is your choice. ultimately, the watch belongs to you. how you want to treat the watch is your own personal choice.

i will take the side with seikosiao and Dfive which is be safe than sorry.

Good work bro... agree with you there.
                              Question is, i have been turning the crown at 10,11,12,1,2-hour positions clockwise and counter clockwise all this while but all my watches , rolex and non rolex alike, all still healthily ticking and no problem with the date functions or time functions

What gives?
                              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                              1. subject heading indicating your issue
                              2. your nick
                              3. your corresponding email address
                              4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Best not to wind the watch anticlockwise, esp if the time shown is around the period of date change (8pm to 4am). If unsure whether the time shown is in the AM or PM period when you first pick up the watch to set time/date, then wind the hands forward past 12 oclock. If the date changes, then you are at 12mn. If no change, then you are at 12 noon.

My dealer from THG warned me long ago when i purchased my first timepiece, that the hands should always be between 4pm to 8pm before changing date. Therefore, just to be super kiasu and cautious, i use the above method to change date. I never wind anticlockwise unless only for 1-2 hours, and NEVER past the 12 oclock mark. This completely avoids disrupting the built-up tension in the springs.

If you find all this confusing, then safest is just to wind the hands forwards at all time.
                                "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X