Getting in shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bladers1 View Post
    How can I lose weight effectively? been going gym to run for 2.4-3km 3 times a week and swimming but cant seem to shake off the kilos. kinda annoying.
    Increase your cardio session by 10 mins per session and see how it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by bladers1 View Post
      How can I lose weight effectively? been going gym to run for 2.4-3km 3 times a week and swimming but cant seem to shake off the kilos. kinda annoying.
      Losing weight is a function of exercise, diet, sleep and stress/peace in life. Without knowing much about your other three aspects, would be tough for anyone to advise well. However, few things:

1. Just cardio by itself is not effective to lose wt / get in shape
      2. Need to add more / different types of exercises - push ups, pull ups, crunches to name a few for the beginners
      3. Remove fat and sweets from your diet for two weeks. Altogether. That's when the body will start digging into the fat reserves and you'll start seeing the difference
      4. Sleep at regular hours (and for 7-8 hours / whatever you think your body needs!)

Comment

Do y'all wear your precious tickers while doing sports? Eg swim with your deepsea

Comment

Hmm.. don't mean to dampen your spirits but 2.4-3km runs do little to burn off calories, and can at most warm up the body. I'm close to 40 years old, and running 10km-14km once every 2 days. Lost 10kg over the last year when I started the running regime, clocking 6km-8km every 2 days. The weight loss plateaued eventually, seems like my muscles are so used to long distance running that no fat burn occurs even if I do 12km religiously. Started some kickboxing and circuit workouts in conjunction with long distance runs recently, think it did help to shed off a bit of weight now.

But importantly, it's a very simple formula

For weight loss, output > input.

I did find one of the ways to induce the body to lose weight is by having:

1. 1 full bowl of Boiled Brocolli + Carrot for breakfast (yes, it tastes like shi*)
          2. Fish Soup (any type) without rice/noodles/vermicilli/mee sua for lunch
          3. Normal dinner dishes with 2 tablespoon of rice

I noticed that by not loading up on carbs in the morning, it made me less hungry by lunchtime. Seems like carbs is like heroin to my body. If I take carbs early in the morning, I'll suffer hunger pangs by 11am and tend to overeat.
          Last edited by Rainer; 24-11-14, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Agree with the guy above... on top of cardio, you need to watch your diet to lose weight. Avoiding foods with high sodium, fat or sugar helps alot. It may be difficult at first but your body adapts fast. I used to drink coffee with 2 spoonfuls of sugar, sometimes even more. Two years ago I decided to drop all sugar and salt, drank my coffee kosong. It was really painful at first but now I never drink my coffee with sugar and i can actually taste the sugar if someone were to put sugar inside.

About exercise, it's the intensity that matters. I do high intensity sports like mountain biking and interval run training. I highly recommend getting a HRM to monitor your heart rate while you push hard. Many times people think they are working hard but they are actually working too hard.

Comment

To lose weight, you need to watch your diet and exercise regularly. I run 5km at least 5 days a week and I have lost 5 kg since I started in Apr 2014.

Comment

there are theories where on the basis of diet, once can achieve a significant weightloss.. but the effects of exercise to nurture the body function is highly beneficial to the holistic approach of health.

Comment

try drinking pure fruit or pure vegetable juice everyday

Comment

Just hoping to maintain current weight is already a bonus to me... Haha

Comment

• Originally posted by Rainer View Post
                      Hmm.. don't mean to dampen your spirits but 2.4-3km runs do little to burn off calories, and can at most warm up the body. I'm close to 40 years old, and running 10km-14km once every 2 days. Lost 10kg over the last year when I started the running regime, clocking 6km-8km every 2 days. The weight loss plateaued eventually, seems like my muscles are so used to long distance running that no fat burn occurs even if I do 12km religiously. Started some kickboxing and circuit workouts in conjunction with long distance runs recently, think it did help to shed off a bit of weight now.

But importantly, it's a very simple formula

For weight loss, output > input.

I did find one of the ways to induce the body to lose weight is by having:

1. 1 full bowl of Boiled Brocolli + Carrot for breakfast (yes, it tastes like shi*)
                      2. Fish Soup (any type) without rice/noodles/vermicilli/mee sua for lunch
                      3. Normal dinner dishes with 2 tablespoon of rice

I noticed that by not loading up on carbs in the morning, it made me less hungry by lunchtime. Seems like carbs is like heroin to my body. If I take carbs early in the morning, I'll suffer hunger pangs by 11am and tend to overeat.
                      Congrats on the weight loss and for building great endurance.

I'd like to chip in on weightloss. It is pretty simple, calories used > calories consumed. Who would have thought this?

As you age your metabolism will drop for most people. So many fail to reduce their daily calorie intake whilst maintaining their daily lifestyle (i.e. typical routine). At the same time, your organs and skeletal structure degenerate simply due to use. We therefore must:

- Reduce daily food intake
                      - Change our lifestyle
                      - Preserve organ, skeletal and overall body harmony

How do we do this? We need to:

- Reduce food portions whilst eating the same number of meals per day
                      - Eat the same portions whilst eating one less meal per day
                      - Cut out excessively sweet beverages
                      - Consumer more vegetables than fruits
                      - Employ a holistic exercise program that strengthens the muscles, bone structure and heart

Running will only eat away at both your fat and muscle mass. Circuit resistance training, heavy weights and cardio combined is probably better and will help you look bigger and be fitter as you age. Men tend to get stronger with age, so why waste away your muscle mass too with running?

I would be happy to field any questions from fellow forum members on this.

AL

Comment

• To get six packs you must first lose the fats around your belly. Ideal BMI is <10%

Comment

• Erm.. I guess being a PT for 6 years. My observation are lots of people have been reading and researching a lot actually are reading and researching only.

When it comes to actually pushing yourself to your 65 - 70% limit, rarely there are that many who would actually do it though.

Comment

• what is the best way to burn away the tummy, followed by getting the 6 pec?

Comment

• trying to lose now, but I seem to reach the plateau stage ...

now e weight keep hover ard there... but physically can feel that I have slim down as clothes get loose.

My friend say it common, as start to built muscle..

how to effectively continue to built muscle while losing weigh.

plan to drop another 5-10Kg.

Comment

• Im having difficulty trying to tone my core. i have the bulk and shape but the toning is an issue for me. any recommendations

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X