Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pet View Post
    no matter how rich u are, u are jst another customer ... hahhaa

but behind the retail activities, tht's another story. dealers/ traders might be working with them behind close door; even the AD sales themselves might be into the act ......

no offence to those in this industry hor ... hahaha ... biz mah, same goes to most other trades..
    Well...true...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      Lol...that shows how high their profit margin is

Yeah...those see and buy...confirm kena CHOPPED!

But well...they have the money to get chopped...unlike us
      actually im not sure about the profit margin. dont forget, AD have overheads.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
        actually im not sure about the profit margin. dont forget, AD have overheads.
        True...like NAC for example...the rent is crazy

Comment

no matter how rich u are, u are jst another customer ... hahhaa

but behind the retail activities, tht's another story. dealers/ traders might be working with them behind close door; even the AD sales themselves might be into the act ......

no offence to those in this industry hor ... hahaha ... biz mah, same goes to most other trades..
          yes. if you are a Central Point of Interest, maybe u r valued more.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
          2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Hahaha....make u happy nia then u more willing to pay for it mah...

lol...then intro u to other brands....especially their house brands
            general merchant/ retailers... ( not jst watches )

they work with cc merchant bank via promo, Eg. advert in their banks flyers/ advert etc..but actual sales transaction still lies with the merchant.

most merchants hv couple of cc terminal. If YYY bank is doing the promo ( but merchant rate = 1.7% ). and if the other terminal from XXX bank ( which charge 1.4% ); merchant can choose to swipe most transaction on XXX bank's terminal instead.

also, another consideration for merchant will be the settlement period, some cc/nets merchant credit merchant a/c the next working day ( eg. nets ), some cc abt 2 days, some can opt for longer period for a reduction in merchant rate... hehee

usually for those high turnover retailers, visa/ mc rates usually way less thn 2%... never believe them whn they say 2+ %. The 'bee kok' card is the highest and for the lower turnover retailer approx low 3%.

MG in retail, i think he can add more to this cc thing... hee

Comment

general merchant/ retailers... ( not jst watches )

they work with cc merchant bank via promo, Eg. advert in their banks flyers/ advert etc..but actual sales transaction still lies with the merchant.

most merchants hv couple of cc terminal. If YYY bank is doing the promo ( but merchant rate = 1.7% ). and if the other terminal from XXX bank ( which charge 1.4% ); merchant can choose to swipe most transaction on XXX bank's terminal instead.

also, another consideration for merchant will be the settlement period, some cc/nets merchant credit merchant a/c the next working day ( eg. nets ), some cc abt 2 days, some can opt for longer period for a reduction in merchant rate... hehee

usually for those hige lower turnover retailer approx low 3%.
              h turnover retailers, visa/ mc rates usually way less thn 2%... never believe them whn they say 2+ %. The 'bee kok' card is the highest and for th
              MG in retail, i think he can add more to this cc thing... hee
              From business point of view ,

Retailers normally like to reduce expenses .
              And special rates are given to retailers depending of volume of transactions and length of staying with the same bank . Normally less than 2% .

If bank A visa machine charges 1.7% for transactions and bank B charges 1.5% . We would go for the lower %charges . The bee kok and dinning cards charge more than 3% to retailers .
              1675/16610/116234/78240
              Ball CM1092C-S1J-BR/NT BLUE MARKER
              Hublot BB ASF
              PAM 104J
              Sinn 903 H2
              Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW
              U-boat classico AS-classico AB (53mm)
              If you pick up a starving dog and nurse him well, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Comment

Originally posted by marineguy8888 View Post
                From business point of view ,

Retailers normally like to reduce expenses .
                And special rates are given to retailers depending of volume of transactions and length of staying with the same bank . Normally less than 2% .

If bank A visa machine charges 1.7% for transactions and bank B charges 1.5% . We would go for the lower %charges . The bee kok and dinning cards charge more than 3% to retailers .
                how come my quote looks so funny
                ya loh, i think all business the same, down to expenses, which is ever increasing.... rental another big

True...like NAC for example...the rent is crazy
                usually for high turnover retailers, usually they hv no problem with rental. ( having said tht, of cos less rental means more profit ). jst look at the best location in a mall, u know leow,usually high end shops. gold/ jewellery/ branded etc.

retailers nowadays, very tough! in a business beyond one's control, see landlord face ...

Comment

usually for high turnover retailers, usually they hv no problem with rental. ( having said tht, of cos less rental means more profit ). jst look at the best location in a mall, u know leow,usually high end shops. gold/ jewellery/ branded etc.

retailers nowadays, very tough! in a business beyond one's control, see landlord face ...
                  Of course la..those branded or watch ppl can handle the rental no problem la

Comment

eh.. think all OT liao hor.. kekekeke more like sharing retail business knowledge and experience..kekeke

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                    - GMT II
                    - GMT IIc TT
                    - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                    - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                    - U1
                    - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
                      eh.. think all OT liao hor.. kekekeke more like sharing retail business knowledge and experience..kekeke
                      well true...OT liao..but it's nice to see them share also

Comment

Yah, quite interesting..

Why TS never share ah?? kekeke

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                        - GMT II
                        - GMT IIc TT
                        - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                        - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                        - U1
                        - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Originally posted by jazz_samz View Post
                          Yah, quite interesting..

Why TS never share ah?? kekeke
                          haha... share buying experience mah, not jst for watches, so if some of those retailer 1 to add a few percent for cc use, u all know wht's going on mah.... of cos, sometimes too much truth offend people in the trade, but thot jst to share with majority of the bros ( who's not watch biz related )... . hahahhaha anyway, it jst general, i never pin pt any retailer... hee

anyway, as for watch buying... singapore AD services really .. but jst dont suit me 1 loh... hehehee... me dont like to waste much time bargaining 1. usually pop in, price quote i like, i buy chabot leow.... dont like, also chabot... hahahha

Comment

1) when you start collecting watches

Consciously collecting (i.e. buying for the sake of buying, even if don't intend to wear), probably 1995.

2) what pieces you still have since then or have you given/pass to/ sold to someone else

Still have an original Sovil et Titus diver, before the brand was sold to Hongkong. Repaired the sapphire once, bezel twice. Now in semi-active service on Nato strap.

3) your personal views on various brands

All time favourite digital: Casio G-shock
                            All time favourite mechanical: Omega Speedmaster
                            Daily work watch: Takane M902 ($22) or Casio A159W ($20)

4) do you believe in going to AD or you prfer to go to independent seller

All also go, price-driven.

5) do you prefer brand new or pre-owned pieces

Both also can!

6) particular complications that interests you

None, but have an aversion towards watches with NO date, and aversion towards GMTs (of all brands), especially those with the names of the cities on the dial.

7) do you buy because of branding?

Not really. I also like to buy Orient, Mido, Sandoz, Tissot, Titoni, because I get to give in to impulse without feeling the pain, and get a well-built watch at the same time (considering the price points).

8) would you dare to venture into relatively unknown brands

Depends on the price really.

9) .....
                            Last edited by HerzAusStahl; 23-03-08, 03:46 PM. Reason: added daily watch

sms/whatsapp to 9OO3-8999

Comment

Watch Collecting: What Has It Taught Me So Far?

I've just written on this topic on my blog, and I would like to share with all of you on my journey into horology. Hope that some of you would like to share your stories on this topics too! For pictures, please do visit my blog at http://thehorologychronicles.wordpre...-it-taught-me/

Recently, I came across a post written by a well-known watch collector in Singapore, and I was pretty inspired by what was written in that entry itself. It kind of sets me thinking, and hence I would like to share about my journey from horology thus far, and what I have learnt from this hobby itself (even though it has been a pretty short journey, and my collection at the moment is just, well, modest as compared to the others…)

1. The first watch that got me into watch collecting is the Hamilton Khaki Field Quartz, which was initially a gift from the SAF to my dad, who passed it down to me because he doesn’t need it. That was the first proper watch that I actually own, and if I am not wrong, I got it when I was in Secondary 4 (so I was 16 at that time…). Owning the Hamilton has taught me plenty of stuffs. It has taught me what humility and simplicity was. It was not a fanciful watch (mind you, it was a quartz…), but it has served me as a daily beater well for 3 years, without any major issues or whatsoever. It’s just an understated piece, one that would just work when you needed it to do so. It has taught me that life doesn’t need to be extravagant. It is just so simple, but yet it is so versatile and reliable. Absolutely nothing to complain about, and it is just a pleasure to own this piece.
                              2. The next watch is the Omega Seamaster Caliber 562 (which I have talked about in my previous post). It was incidentally the first watch which I have bought with my own money. It has taught me about love, memories and how I should treasure stuffs before it is too late. Which was probably why I was glad that the deal didn’t go through. One reason why I am so attached to it is because I have wore it to so many important events, in which I have met so many important and significant people in my life. So much so that it has became a part of me. Another reason is really retarded, but this watch actually reminds me of someone, someone whom I like. I realised how much I miss this watch when I was about to lose it. Yes, the Rolex 6694 is a wonderful watch, but something that my friend said had changed my mind totally. Her exact words were “Wonder why you decided to sell something you’re so obviously attached to”. At that point of time, I knew I had made the wrong decision. Which was why I was quite relieve when the person told me that he had changed his mind about the trade. This would probably be one of the watches that I would keep for many years to come.
                              3. Subsequently, I owned the Tag Heuer Carrera 5 Automatic. This watch has taught me the importance of being patient, as well as to grasp opportunities when they come along. Managed to get this watch at a really good price, wore it a few times, and flipped it after that. Chanced upon this piece quite by chance, but if I didn’t take up this offer back then, I wouldn’t have gained a profit within such a short time. (Ok but honestly, other than that, my experience with this watch was so short that I don’t think I learn anything else other than the principle of “buying low and selling [slightly] higher).
                              4. After that, I bought the JeanRichard Paramount Chronograph. This was a mistake actually. Wanted to flip it again, but it was unsuccessful. What it has taught me is that in life, things doesn’t go as planned, and that we should accept failure with an open mind. This experience didn’t stop me from collecting and flipping watches, but rather it has taught me to be more prudence in my purchases. It has taught me that at times, we shouldn’t be rash. A pretty small price to pay actually, if I am able to gain such a valuable life lesson that is not taught in classrooms or in lecture halls.
                              5. The next purchase is the Rolex Submariner, reference 114060. It has taught me about hard work, support and love. I earned this watch through hard work (and also partially from the benevolence from my parents la, HAHAHA!). It has taught me that things doesn’t come easy, and that if you want to achieve something, you have to work hard to get it. If you do not have the drive, then don’t bother dreaming about it in the first place. It has also taught me that in whatever you do, not only hard work matters, but the support that you’ve received in the process is equally important as well. I’m sure without all the support from my friends and family, I wouldn’t have achieved what I wanted through hard work alone. And without that I wouldn’t have gotten this watch la. HAHAHA!
                              6. Finally, the Seiko Fifty Five Fathom. It has taught me that life can be interesting and exciting if one steps out of their comfort zone once in a while. I was never a fan of watch modification, but I was “poisoned’ by forumers who modified their Seiko 5 into the Seiko Fifty Five Fathom. Even though the process of modifying the watch is quite tedious, but the end result was simply amazing. This watch feels just so much more than the original Seiko 5. It has also taught me that you don’t have to spend so much money to have fun, and that inexpensive stuffs are not terrible stuffs. Even though this watch is relatively inexpensive, but it performs very well, and that it is just such a joy to wear and own this watch. Of course, it cannot compete with the Blancpain Fifty Fathom, but I can do with this homage version at the time being. In fact, this watch looks so good that it has received plenty of praises from many people. And the best part is that, it is one of the cheapest watch in my collection. Understated, not fanciful, but yet it is just so brilliant. Sometimes, things doesn’t need to be extravagant, but as long as you can make use of what is available to you, I’m sure you’ll be able to lead a colourful and enjoyable life.

So, this is basically my journey into horology so far. Even though it is still pretty short, but I have learnt tremendously during this period of time. I do hope that some of you would like to share about your thoughts on this topic, as well as the things that you’ve learnt from horology too. Till then, see ya!
                              "Oh enjoying the thrill of the chase is fine. Craving the distraction of the game, I sympathize entirely. But sentiment, sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."

Comment

strangely enough u post a new thread that is so similar to one i posted back then.

kindly email with
                                2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X