nightmare renovation contractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nightmare renovation contractor

recently, i had a bad experience a renovation contractor that i feel i should warn people and share my experience with this renovation contractor.

i have used the same renovation contractor for the past 6 years and have done like 6 renovations with him including my wife's and sis-in-law flats. i decided to embark on a new found lobang that my friend recommended. though this is no fault of my friend who had good intention.

a check with HDB list shows that they are approved by HDB. so i thought how bad can it be. how wrong was i. thing started spiraling downwards when the custom made cabinet did not turn out to be my requirement. i sign on the design cabinet as i was rushing off for a business appointment and i told the contractor to amend it. but it was not done. so i ask him how? he say cannot re-do. so i have a mutual agreement with him saying that some of the miscellaneous items he do for me as a form of 'compensation'. however, he now turn around and say i do those things for you are out of favour. i was like what? u agree to do in compensation yet now turn around say do out of personal favour?

as i have to custom made my bed, i ask for an additional quote. it was 1600. i told him too expensive. later i check with my contractor with the same material used, i was quoted ~1000. this is about 30% less. so i told my contractor if possible to lower then i let him do. he say cannot. so i went back to my carpenter to confirm.

the separator between my living room and kitchen is glass panel. upon completion, my carpenter and his workmen ask me how come can see the tracks of the panel? should they have a plummet to cover? i say im not sure, first time doing. my carpenter said cannot be lah. if buy, is one set one. even his workmen ask me how come like that. so i got back to my contractor. he say want to do charge separate. so as to make it look neater, i got it done. however it took them to cut 4 wrong pieces to finally get it up.

on the same day, he ask me for payment. i was like huh. cause i yet to receive keys and he ask for payment. i told him no such thing in the market. handing over means im satisfied with the workmanship, then i collect keys and give last payment of 5%. on the same day, i told him i needed one extra board for the kitchen wall cabinet. i told him that the tiles he left behind all 8 of them were either chipped and/or damaged have been carried out by me and placed outside for 2 weeks already. town council already called me asking me to do something about it. i also told him that one of the kitchen drawers is not closing properly, he replied say it is the track. i said since it is track issue. replace lor.

yesterday, he call me asking for payment, i told him, i give u last payment when all the things are rectified, i will give u. he replied, u cannot hold my payment because of the unfinished work. i told him, i yet to collect keys. so im not holding payment. industry standard is hand over keys and collect payment same day.

i decided to call his boss to discuss. then i decide to cancel the appointment because the boss did not reply me by 4pm and schedule appointment is 5pm. so to prevent wasting all people's time, i inform his boss secretary to inform the contractor to cancel. the boss called me 10 mins later. say the carpenter and locksmith will go down fix it. tiles will be delivered. however, i requested that i dont see the contractor as im pissed with him. he say ok. alternative, i say those unfinished work, never mind, i get my carpenter to do. the keys, replacement tiles, extra board all leave in office. i go collect and make payment. he was not agreeable.

however, when i turn up i saw the contractor. guess what, they had to replace the lock for the second time. first time, quality of outer housing of grill gate had blemish. second round, the locksmith say he handed the key to me. i say i never receive any keys. guess the keys got lost again.

eventually all things fixed. night time, i text the boss, say he did not keep his end of bargain and it is not how biz should be conducted. no word of honor. i told him that i will do what i deem fit.

within 3 mins, he called me and turn aggressive saying that he and contractor and his workers know where i stay. say that i treat his contractor and workers like dogs. i said i did not. it is quality of finishing that is not up to standard because if other people can do it, why cant his workers. wife heard the conversation as he was shouting through the phone. he say my whole department is waiting for you tomorrow.

contacted my lawyer about the conversation and he advised me to make a police report which i did last night. this is to protect my assests, my family and myself. will scan a copy of the police incident report. police say it is not a crimminal case as no crimminal words were used. i told the officer, im fully aware of that. however, my purpose is to safeguard myself should anything happen. a check in most forum return nil results of this company.

thanks for the read.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

bro,PM me the company name and the site supervisor name and the boss name.I see I know the company or not.
    累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

sorry to hear your bad experience.
      from my personal experience and the experiences of my friends, you have to be tough with them. once they receive all of their monies, good luck in getting them to come back to repair any defects.
      best is if you fix a date with the contractor and do a handover inspection together, and on the spot resolve all issues spotted e.g. if there is a defect, and they say they will repair by next Wed, then must repair or else deduct agreed monies)
      how about complaining to HDB?
      hope all turns out well.
      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
      three times is enemy action and
      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
      ."

Comment

that would leave a very sour taste in your mouth. in perth, im also going thru a building dispute atm (with one of the larger contract builders), turning into a damn nightmare too.

ive got leaking showers, water ingress into the surrounding rooms, cracking cornices, flooding of my garage when it rains, the list continues.

i hope all turns out well for you mate!

Originally posted by Ender View Post
        sorry to hear your bad experience.
        from my personal experience and the experiences of my friends, you have to be tough with them. once they receive all of their monies, good luck in getting them to come back to repair any defects.
        best is if you fix a date with the contractor and do a handover inspection together, and on the spot resolve all issues spotted e.g. if there is a defect, and they say they will repair by next Wed, then must repair or else deduct agreed monies)
        how about complaining to HDB?
        hope all turns out well.
        yes you are right. like triton, my parents signed off on the minor mistake (with condition to come and fix it at a later date prior to handover); but the builder is now trying to wriggle out of their obligation. there is no need to be tough with them, just have everything in writing and signed.

in regards to deducting monies; in oz, what we do is. I give you 5 working days to complete the job. if not done by then, i call in contractor and send you the bill. you must hold builders/renovators to a firm timeframe, and make it clear if not done, you will bring in your own contractors to finish the job plus they foot the bill.
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

im sorry to hear about this terrible experience.

as i might be getting a flat in the near future, please PM me the name of the company so that i can stay away from them. i hope this is not the company my mother-in-law to be has currently hired for her renovation works.

btw, was this due to the fact that the management has changed, since you last hired them?
          fallraen
          "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

Bro, sorry to hear that. There are always be people like that. Through the years I have learnt to stick to people or services I am comfortable with, even if they are more expensive to have a peace of mind. I did once change my usual contractor for cheaper rate and I regretted it.

Hope things turn out well for you.

Comment

do note that @ no point in time, i said/mentioned about not paying.

i know that once full settlement is done, they will take their own sweet time to do things. that is why i insisted on rectifying all the issues i have on hand then hand over.

complaining to HDB? i scared leh. they say lawyer waiting for me.

i have made a police incident report. i got no intention to tell them. im waiting for them prepared.

maybe they think im just a normal manager in a small company and living in a 3-room HDB flat that is why they want to threaten me.

btw, the amount i owe them is 5% of 20+k which works out to be under 1.4k. think i just throw them my 6694 better. if i owe them like 20+ k, it will be reasonable for them to kick a big fuss. besides, i have been prompted in my periodic payments to them. each progressive payment made, they also never give me an official invoice. lucky is used cheque. anything goes legal, at least there is proof.

management still the same. they have 3 offices. 2 in the east.

please refer to the attachment

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6...dentreport.jpg
              if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
              2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Sorry to learn of your plight bro. Sometimes these kinda' issues sucks.. . I've had almost similar situation when I did renovation for my house years back. But the obstacle I had that is different from you, is the renovation contractor being my relative ! Very sticky situation I had. Best is to settle it amicably. You did right to lodge a police report first. See how it goes. Keep us updated if possible.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

thank you all for your support.

actually i usual contractor charge me like 3k more. i do sometimes u pay more have peace of mind. but this round, i thought it would be nice to go for a change. at least now i appreciate my usual contractor more. but i have no regrets using them despite the negative outcome. it is different experience. we all learn and grow from learning through such experiences.

cheers to all. do come to end of the month GTG. we should have alot to share.

Originally posted by Haolian King View Post
                  Bro, sorry to hear that. There are always be people like that. Through the years I have learnt to stick to people or services I am comfortable with, even if they are more expensive to have a peace of mind. I did once change my usual contractor for cheaper rate and I regretted it.

Hope things turn out well for you.

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

wow...Big boss...1st , i admired your patience....2nd, u r far too kind to the contractor liao....3rd , if i was in your situation , someone is gonna to land in hospital after giving me shoddy workmanship and shouting at me further more...

P.S: I hope you can resolved the issue fast ....do contact me if you need any assistance...
                    Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                      wow...Big boss...1st , i admired your patience....2nd, u r far too kind to the contractor liao....3rd , if i was in your situation , someone is gonna to land in hospital after giving me shoddy workmanship and shouting at me further more...

P.S: I hope you can resolved the issue fast ....do contact me if you need any assistance...
                      Mr feilong108, u so violent, how triton dares to contact u 4 help.. . Sekali, u land someone in hospital how..
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

hehehehe...where got violent....me peace loving guy...

World Peace....me sweet as a dove leh....

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                          Mr feilong108, u so violent, how triton dares to contact u 4 help.. . Sekali, u land someone in hospital how..
                          My apologies is I've anyway offended you Mr Feilong108.Pls accept my sincere apologies.I'm here to make peace and love not war.Coffee on me anytime.Been quite long since I saw u and i miss u.
                          累了才放慢脚步; 错了才想到后悔;苦了才懂得满足;伤了 才明白坚强; 醉了才知道难忘 ; 笑了才体会美丽!

是否我沉默了,你才能听到我的心声?是否我停止了,你才能看到我的眼泪?是否我心碎了,你才会摸到我的心痛?是否我消失了,你才会知道我的存在?

Comment

wah...Big Boss illusion84....mai sae me until like dat leh....me only a small fry....and hor u MIA for so long do wad? Sianing China XMMs har?Kopi anytime leh....basket....hehehehe.....

Me non-violent....those who saw me before will know that de...hehehe....small size and puny....."4" eyes too...lol

Comment

on advice by some kind forum member. I will pay in full and report to case for bad service attitude. also some kind forum members say I made the right move by lodging an incident report. anything happen just retrieve the case number report and take legal actions

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X