No announcement yet.

Brand new or pre-owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If good watches have depreciation, till when does this depreciation stops? Is it when the model is discontinued? If so, will the price go up higher then buying BNIB?

Comment

• Watches, whether good or not, like many other things, have depreciation. No one knows when such depreciation would stop. It is NOT about when a particular model is discontinued. It is more about the demand for the particular model at a particular period of time. For e.g. the Explorer 114270. It was once very popular and price went up crazily high during that period. What happens now?

Is the Explorer a good watch? - Yes
      Has the depreciation stop? - No
      Is it discontinued? - Yes
      Will the price go up higher than a BNIB? - ...
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Hmm.. It's by luck I guess.
        For watches like submariner,is it more worth to buy pre-loved or BNIB?
        Thank u Bro Oceanklassik

Comment

• Originally posted by yasmd78 View Post
          Hmm.. It's by luck I guess.
          For watches like submariner,is it more worth to buy pre-loved or BNIB?
          Thank u Bro Oceanklassik
          Unless you work in ROLEX and is one of the decision-makers in the company, otherwise, it is 80% luck

As for your question if a Submariner is 'more worth' to get it pre-love or BNIB, I think it's not very relevant. Whether it's a Submariner, a GMT Master II, a Milgauss/Datejust, or any other models/watch brands, it is mostly more worthy to get it pre-love economically speaking.

Simple mathematics:

A brand new Submariner (16610) in 2006/2007 (D/Z series) retailed at $7,931. A pre-love Submariner in the same period was selling in the range of $6,200-$6,900, depending on its age and other conditions. What is the selling price of a pre-love 16610 now?
          Last edited by Oceanklassik; 25-07-17, 09:41 AM.
          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Pre-love 1610 now is selling ard $6,500 to $7000 isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by yasmd78 View Post
              Pre-love 1610 now is selling ard $6,500 to $7000 isn't it?
              Go plough the sales sections, you will know what I mean.
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Pre-owned watch so far so good... Won't purchase new ..

Comment

• I like my watches preowned

Comment

• Both is OK, until you love your watch

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
                    For me i usually go the pre-owned pieces as i do not have massive nor deep pockets for BNIB...and i have no pangtang issues regarding the previous owner history of fortune or misfortune...as long watch condition,package,price are met to my expectations, i pull the trigger for the watch....
                    For me, I think that pre-owned or new pieces are both good. Because there are advantages & disadvantages for both. If you have a new watch, you will own a brand new one with quality guarantee but you spend a lot of money. If you get a pre-owned one, you take you dream watch with less money. It's good if the watch is still good. Both is OK, if it's suitable with you.

Comment

• Always buy preowned!!!

I know many of my friends who insist on buying brand new. I mean who doesn't like the feeling of owning something from the beginning, but i feel it is not justifiable to tank the depreciation. The moment you buy a brand new watch, whether it is greymarket or from the boutique, you immediately lose 20% of your initial spend the moment you wear it on your wrist.

There are arguments that people make saying it's ok if you are going to commemorate something with buying a brand new watch but i just can't put my money in a losing purchase even if i know i will never ever sell the watch, it's just the way i am i guess haha.

Maybe because i have been collecting vintage for some time now, so i can look past the fact that one or perhaps more people have worn the watch before me.

Comment

• Originally posted by E_mor3j View Post
                        I know many of my friends who insist on buying brand new. I mean who doesn't like the feeling of owning something from the beginning, but i feel it is not justifiable to tank the depreciation. The moment you buy a brand new watch, whether it is greymarket or from the boutique, you immediately lose 20% of your initial spend the moment you wear it on your wrist.

There are arguments that people make saying it's ok if you are going to commemorate something with buying a brand new watch but i just can't put my money in a losing purchase even if i know i will never ever sell the watch, it's just the way i am i guess haha.

Maybe because i have been collecting vintage for some time now, so i can look past the fact that one or perhaps more people have worn the watch before me.
                        I get mine used and then overhaul it, then pretend that it's brand new..

Comment

• If it's a gift for someone then brand new. If I'm wearing it then it's ok to buy preowned

Comment

• Originally posted by commoner View Post
                            Been lurking in this forum for sometime liao.

Except for my 1st pre-owned Rolex 6694 and IWC portofino (a gift), all my watches are bought new. 6694 is worn by my brother, and I knew my friend who gave me the IWC well.

Really love seeing many watches selling here, and ebay, but never get myyself to take a step further. Being a kiasu chinese middle age fellow, and to think myself going to spend multiple thousands to buy a 2nd hand watch, it is so damn difficult. Knowing myself, I will be wondering why the guy sells his watch (whether bad luck or something), lost on the race track or whatever if I buy it. Don't think I will have that peace of mind should something bad happens when wearing a pre-owned watch. not knowing its history. Don't think I wll ever buy from a pawn shop for sure.

So I will continue to save my blood and sweat money to pursue my new 14060m and solid gold rolex or give it all up for just a PP aquanaut/nautilus. It will be a slow and tedious process I am sure, but I will enjoy the fruits of the hard labor.

How many of you are of the same thinking?

Does the history of the watch affect your purchase?

cheers
                            Both new and second hand are fine to me

Comment

• Originally posted by commoner View Post
                              Been lurking in this forum for sometime liao.

Except for my 1st pre-owned Rolex 6694 and IWC portofino (a gift), all my watches are bought new. 6694 is worn by my brother, and I knew my friend who gave me the IWC well.

Really love seeing many watches selling here, and ebay, but never get myyself to take a step further. Being a kiasu chinese middle age fellow, and to think myself going to spend multiple thousands to buy a 2nd hand watch, it is so damn difficult. Knowing myself, I will be wondering why the guy sells his watch (whether bad luck or something), lost on the race track or whatever if I buy it. Don't think I will have that peace of mind should something bad happens when wearing a pre-owned watch. not knowing its history. Don't think I wll ever buy from a pawn shop for sure.

So I will continue to save my blood and sweat money to pursue my new 14060m and solid gold rolex or give it all up for just a PP aquanaut/nautilus. It will be a slow and tedious process I am sure, but I will enjoy the fruits of the hard labor.

How many of you are of the same thinking?

Does the history of the watch affect your purchase?

cheers

Two brand new and one pre own...

Comment

• Brand new for me

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X