Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reward is good rewards. However, the current system, in my opinion, gives rise to the possibility of "random" threads being started or members just giving short comments in order to increase their rewards points. This might affect bandwidth, server space? I'm not sure if this is the case, or if there's an alternative, just feel that there might be a lot of "unhelpful" posts to genuine queries or interest topics if people go all out just to "score points". What about a point system where people whose's comments were helpful would get more points?

Originally posted by triton View Post
    Update

SG-ROC is currently reviewing the rewards system, as the administration is working on the back end. We are seeking some feedback on what types of rewards you would like to have. Do note that your feedback may or may not be implemented.

Would members be interested in rewards that is non watch related such as F&B vouchers?

Comment

so the reward systems is gona be back again ... good job

Comment

this is what happened when it was on trial run, users starting random threads and posting unhelpful posts to gain points. one possibility is that users who perform such acts will have their points docked to say -100000 and account suspension for a period of time. if the user persists in performing such acts, then heavy penalties will be imposed.

what are your views on penalties being imposed on abusers of the system.

your suggestion on useful comments by other users is being considered. however, it would also subject to abuse as members can team up to award each other points.

Originally posted by Motomarc View Post
        Any reward is good rewards. However, the current system, in my opinion, gives rise to the possibility of "random" threads being started or members just giving short comments in order to increase their rewards points. This might affect bandwidth, server space? I'm not sure if this is the case, or if there's an alternative, just feel that there might be a lot of "unhelpful" posts to genuine queries or interest topics if people go all out just to "score points". What about a point system where people whose's comments were helpful would get more points?
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

it may or may not be back. the rewards system is meant to reward members, however it can be abused by members. unless members can come out with solutions to counter abusers of the system, the system may not be back.

that is why the administration wants to hear members view and propose penalties to prevent abusers.

Originally posted by dtctan View Post
          so the reward systems is gona be back again ... good job
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
          2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

I don't think you should penalize members, especially with huge points deductions, just because they post unhelpful comments. Also, this is subjective Mah. Will admins look at every comment and post to decide?
            This forum is very well run because of you guys who are committed and forum members with a certain level of respect for the watches they wish to discuss. Suspensions and point deductions should only be imposed when a member abuses the system, and even then, it's really easy to set up another account.

What about letting members earn points only in some forums? Especially those where you pose valid questions and watches. All other assorted threads and posts would not earn points? Not even those in the sales threads?

In other words, points only awarded to members who discuss watches and watch related issues.

Just a preliminary thought.

this is what happened when it was on trial run, users starting random threads and posting unhelpful posts to gain points. one possibility is that users who perform such acts will have their points docked to say -100000 and account suspension for a period of time. if the user persists in performing such acts, then heavy penalties will be imposed.

what are your views on penalties being imposed on abusers of the system.

your suggestion on useful comments by other users is being considered. however, it would also subject to abuse as members can team up to award each other points.

Comment

penalize members is with huge deduction points if they abuse the system. for example, if the topic is meant to ask for opinion, and the user(s) decide to hijack the thread to discuss about REALLY OT topics or posting unhelpful comments in almost every other threads. it is handled on a case-by-case basis. it is not meant to penalize members for just posting.

yes, the user can register the account, this would mean that what ever points scored previously will be lost anyway. if a user chooses to use the new registered account to cause disruptions of the forum, the user will be taken to task as per not following forum rules.

to allow members only to earn points in certain forum will only make it tougher for members to earn points. if it is tough to earn points, then members wont participate and it will render the system as a white elephant.

SG-ROC wants to find a balance, this balance is hard to find. that is why SG-ROC is seeking opinion in attempt to benefit genuine members who are to be rewarded for supporting the forum.

I don't think you should penalize members, especially with huge points deductions, just because they post unhelpful comments. Also, this is subjective Mah. Will admins look at every comment and post to decide?
              This forum is very well run because of you guys who are committed and forum members with a certain level of respect for the watches they wish to discuss. Suspensions and point deductions should only be imposed when a member abuses the system, and even then, it's really easy to set up another account.

What about letting members earn points only in some forums? Especially those where you pose valid questions and watches. All other assorted threads and posts would not earn points? Not even those in the sales threads?

In other words, points only awarded to members who discuss watches and watch related issues.

Just a preliminary thought.

kindly email with
              2. your nick

Comment

Well, there are no bullet proof plan for any point reward system, sure to be have some loop holes here and there and is not easy to handle this and I know where you are coming from ... Trying to reward members with freebies and on the other hand caught with hot potatoes.

Comment

Unless the backend has some sophisticated algorithm running in the background, it might be a tedious task for the mods to identify, rate and evaluate each and every post that is OT or really helpful. Nevertheless, I do think the points system is a good thought.

My 2 cents.

Comment

this is correct. no bullet proof plan which is why there is severe penalty for abuser(s) of the system

Originally posted by dtctan View Post
                    Well, there are no bullet proof plan for any point reward system, sure to be have some loop holes here and there and is not easy to handle this and I know where you are coming from ... Trying to reward members with freebies and on the other hand caught with hot potatoes.

kindly email with
                    2. your nick

Comment

absolutely spot on. even with sophisticated algorithm, there is no foolproof plan.

in fact to rate and evaluate each post is not viable and hence issuing of penalty is based on holistic approach.

Originally posted by P88 View Post
                      Unless the backend has some sophisticated algorithm running in the background, it might be a tedious task for the mods to identify, rate and evaluate each and every post that is OT or really helpful. Nevertheless, I do think the points system is a good thought.

My 2 cents.

kindly email with
                      2. your nick

Comment

But how would you define "abuse"? Some one who cheats the system to earn points for himself or as part of a group earning points for one another would probably deserve the massive points deduction, but the so-called thread hijackers should not since there was no intention to cheat. Then, if someone hijacks and go completely off topic should deserve a different degree of penalty. It would become quite troublesome for the admins.

For example, I got a warning previously for commenting on a nice watch being offered for sale. I didn't know at that time that I was doing anything wrong. Under your new proposal, would I lose all my points?

I think that earning points only in certain forums should still work especially since this entire forum was based on the premise of exchanging info and helping one another. The sales threads don't always concern watches, neither does kopi talk topics, should these then garner points? What about different tiers of points awarded in different sections? You can still encourage activity, but just less points awarded for non watch topics or sales?

Comment

no system is bullet proof, making it too strict means users wont participate, making it lax may result in users exploiting the loop hole to gain advantage. posting of one off comment such as nice watch in garage section may result in user being given an infraction as it is clearly stated in the forum faq. if user persists in posting such comments, user will keep receiving infraction points till the system total restrict the particular user access to the forum. how many points can a user attain by deliberately posting such comments.

to implement restrictions to certain forums such as discussion and show case will make it harder for members to earn points and eventually members will not use the system at all. it is also not that easy to implement and to implement different tier points requires more complex algorithm.

the points rewards system was on trial basis to see how users respond to such benefit. it allowed us to see where the potential loop holes were and evaluate how if such a system when introduced will benefit the members. unfortunately, some users abuse the system which resulted in the us pulling the plug. SG-ROC likes to reward its members for their continuous support of the forum, however if members choose to abuse the system, then SG-ROC has no choice but not implement such a reward system. those members like to have rewards will have to blame those trouble makers for not getting the rewards system.

a forum is for the people by the people. embrace the forum and grow with it, benefits will come. just to share with all, members who attend the anniversary event pays a token sum, the rest is subsidize by the forum.

But how would you define "abuse"? Some one who cheats the system to earn points for himself or as part of a group earning points for one another would probably deserve the massive points deduction, but the so-called thread hijackers should not since there was no intention to cheat. Then, if someone hijacks and go completely off topic should deserve a different degree of penalty. It would become quite troublesome for the admins.

For example, I got a warning previously for commenting on a nice watch being offered for sale. I didn't know at that time that I was doing anything wrong. Under your new proposal, would I lose all my points?

I think that earning points only in certain forums should still work especially since this entire forum was based on the premise of exchanging info and helping one another. The sales threads don't always concern watches, neither does kopi talk topics, should these then garner points? What about different tiers of points awarded in different sections? You can still encourage activity, but just less points awarded for non watch topics or sales?

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

I say forget it. Such reward system won't work in a forum environment in which members don't have to register their true identity. Forum members don't have to team up to cheat - all they need is to create a few nicks.

There are other ways to increase traffic. Quality of posts is another matter all together. A reward is supposed to be earned and not simply by contributing to the traffic with whatever rubbish. In that sense I support the idea to have it for certain sub forums only if really want to do it.
                            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

it is not to increase traffic. i agree with you on that.

this reward system is meant to reward members.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                              I say forget it. Such reward system won't work in a forum environment in which members don't have to register their true identity. Forum members don't have to team up to cheat - all they need is to create a few nicks.

There are other ways to increase traffic. Quality of posts is another matter all together. A reward is supposed to be earned and not simply by contributing to the traffic with whatever rubbish. In that sense I support the idea to have it for certain sub forums only if really want to do it.

kindly email with
                              2. your nick

Comment

it is not to increase traffic. i agree with you on that.

this reward system is meant to reward members.
                                Thanks for clarification. If merely to reward members, no need so complicated. Reward quality instead of quantity.

For example a reward for the best showcase thread, best watch review thread, or even best kopi talk thread on a monthly or quarterly basis. Method of judging could be that the sg-roc team nominate a few entries and then put them up for members' voting. Final result could be based on say, 50% members' voting and 50% judges' scoring (sg-roc team or judges appointed by sg-roc). When there are not enough quality entries for certain month/quarter, an award could be omitted.
                                Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X