Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My blunt and honest opinion is that sg-roc is already quite successful in that it is the most popular and most active local watch forum. Where I see it needs improvement is the quality of contributions to bring it to the next level.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

I think pegasi has a good idea. Quality instead of quantity. But I think this might be difficult too.
      No fool proof way I guess. But honestly, how many are here for the rewards? I came here to learn before I got my first Rollie. Now I keep coming back to read more and learn more. Hopefully, buy more as well.

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
      Thanks for clarification. If merely to reward members, no need so complicated. Reward quality instead of quantity.

For example a reward for the best showcase thread, best watch review thread, or even best kopi talk thread on a monthly or quarterly basis. Method of judging could be that the sg-roc team nominate a few entries and then put them up for members' voting. Final result could be based on say, 50% members' voting and 50% judges' scoring (sg-roc team or judges appointed by sg-roc). When there are not enough quality entries for certain month/quarter, an award could be omitted.

Comment

any suggestions to improve the quality of contributions?

as suggested before, it is very tedious to monitor each single posts to decide if it is of certain quality and there is no ófficial benchmark to say which is considered a quality post.

My blunt and honest opinion is that sg-roc is already quite successful in that it is the most popular and most active local watch forum. Where I see it needs improvement is the quality of contributions to bring it to the next level.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

the rewards is just like a perk for forum members just like a motorist can use their petrol points to redeem say a cordless phone.

Originally posted by Motomarc View Post
          I think pegasi has a good idea. Quality instead of quantity. But I think this might be difficult too.
          No fool proof way I guess. But honestly, how many are here for the rewards? I came here to learn before I got my first Rollie. Now I keep coming back to read more and learn more. Hopefully, buy more as well.
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
          2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Maybe can consider a voting system by members with certain number of post to allocate the points? Rule, only 1 vote per member per post or to each member for a certain time frame. Community contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
              any suggestions to improve the quality of contributions?

as suggested before, it is very tedious to monitor each single posts to decide if it is of certain quality and there is no ófficial benchmark to say which is considered a quality post.
              This thread is about reward isn't it? So my idea is about driving/encouraging desired content quality by rewards. True, there is no benchmark on what a quality post/thread is. Different people may also have their own different opinion of quality. Ultimately the forum owners have to decide what culture and image they want the forum to have and drive towards those.

My earlier example is just a concept, and can be varied according to the available resources and the focused area(s) of the forum. As in most awards, a best whatever thread award should be a judges-decision-is-final kind of award so I don't think members are going to question the decision. If the forum want to be more transparent, it can always make known to member the judging criteria - that would also help to communicate what the forum is actually looking for. For example, for the best showcase award, more points could be given for creativity and originality, and less for photography, to emphasize that it is not a photography contest.

Comment

unlimited wants. limited resources.

showcase award may consider. so to award points is fine. but first how is how to short list? members vote which threads? there is a limit on the poll options as set by the platform which sg-roc is using.

This thread is about reward isn't it? So my idea is about driving/encouraging desired content quality by rewards. True, there is no benchmark on what a quality post/thread is. Different people may also have their own different opinion of quality. Ultimately the forum owners have to decide what culture and image they want the forum to have and drive towards those.

My earlier example is just a concept, and can be varied according to the available resources and the focused area(s) of the forum. As in most awards, a best whatever thread award should be a judges-decision-is-final kind of award so I don't think members are going to question the decision. If the forum want to be more transparent, it can always make known to member the judging criteria - that would also help to communicate what the forum is actually looking for. For example, for the best showcase award, more points could be given for creativity and originality, and less for photography, to emphasize that it is not a photography contest.

kindly email with
                2. your nick

Comment

in case you miss my earlier post. refer to the highlighted red text.

the points rewards system was on trial basis to see how users respond to such benefit. it allowed us to see where the potential loop holes were and evaluate how if such a system when introduced will benefit the members. unfortunately, some users abuse the system which resulted in the us pulling the plug. SG-ROC likes to reward its members for their continuous support of the forum, however if members choose to abuse the system, then SG-ROC has no choice but not implement such a reward system. those members like to have rewards will have to blame those trouble makers for not getting the rewards system.

a forum is for the people by the people. embrace the forum and grow with it, benefits will come. just to share with all, members who attend the anniversary event pays a token sum, the rest is subsidize by the forum.
                  Originally posted by Hiroki
                  This Rewards System Is good if happen: For the example ESSO station and NTUC , Give me rewards point, Every dollar counts, One dollar for one outstanding point: This because there want repeat customer, And why i want to be repeat customer, That's so many pump station and supermarket: ESSO station and NTUC, Did not look for big amounts, to be given points, To them every dollar counts, That's why i want To be outstanding repeat customer: And what's good things about ESSO station and NTUC: There not asking so many opinions, To give Reward points, There just do it That's all:

And one more important thing, Every positive post and reply sought take to count: Why very easy, Every post and reply, Using data usage and electricity, For members to reply: So all this must count, Not just outstanding english only: Yes i know SG ROC FORUM have a right, And you are the boss, Forum Rules and Regulations is very important, please not so strict, SG ROC FORUM, Not running a prison or military, SG ROC FORUM, Is about running a outstanding watch FORUM, I hope please flexible a letter bit:

I hopefully SG ROC FORUM not like CPF board, Asking so many opinions, In the end of the day they do what they want: Please if SG ROC FORUM do not want to have Rewards System, Just close this thread, I know SG ROC FORUM not start this thread, Nevertheless SG ROC FORUM was the want alert members at the system:

I know that this is not my outstanding FORUM, I am nothing without This FORUM, This FORUM is nothing without outstanding members: You alone can do it but you can't do it alone THE END

SG ROC FORUM is important, So are members !!

See you soon on 8 june 2013 for the outstanding SG ROC FORUM Anniversary

kindly email with
                  2. your nick

Comment

sg-roc tries to be flexible but there are members who want to exploit this weakness of the system, then it leaves the forum no choice but to implement strict rules for the benefit of the community. if you are saying this forum is strict, there are other forums with harsh penalties. members can be banned without given a reason. just ask Darkangel. he was banned and he wrote in to ask why he was banned, never got a response. re-register again, got banned again for the next 5 times. btw, he did not even violate any of the rules and regulations stipulated in the forum.

why have rules and regulations been changing? because members have been exploiting them. if there are no rules and regulations, it will get out of hand. one person start it, 200 members follow. can you imagine how the forum will be? look at what happens to other watch forum which does not set restrictions, certain sections end up like a 'war zone'

off topic discussion is in kopi talk section. however, there need to be certain form of censorship. as matured thinking adults, one should know what kind of content is suitable. remember that sg-roc is a PUBLIC forum. if member persists to disrupt the forum, it leaves the forum no choice but to take appropriate actions against them.

some members like the forum, some members dislike the forum. the forum cannot please everyone.

please get back to the discussion of rewards system.

thank you.

Yes i know SG ROC FORUM have a right, And you are the boss, Forum Rules and Regulations is very important, please not so strict, SG ROC FORUM, Not running a prison or military, SG ROC FORUM, Is about running a outstanding watch FORUM, I hope please flexible a letter bit:

Originally posted by Rolex116613
                    But pls try not to give warning to kopi talk threads for being off topic as kopi talk threads are suppose to be off topic.

kindly email with
                    2. your nick

Comment

unlimited wants. limited resources.

showcase award may consider. so to award points is fine. but first how is how to short list? members vote which threads? there is a limit on the poll options as set by the platform which sg-roc is using.
                      As suggested earlier, sg-roc team to pick/short list a few for voting. I don't see a better way than that. The poll can have up to 10 options so short list 5 to 10 threads for members' voting. For simplicity, instead of the members' voting 50% and judges 50% system that I suggested earlier, the judges could just look at the 3 most voted threads and then decide on the winner among themselves. The reason I don't suggest 100% members' voting to determine the result, is that it might lead to people trying to manipulate the result (by you-know-how) or rally for votes based on relationship rather than merit.

Talking about showcase, the judges might want to consider giving marks for the effort to also write something interesting (such as experience/motivation of the purchase or even a mini review) along with the pics. Originality is very important as we want to discourage people from posting different pics of the same watch over and over again just because of the rewards.

Last but not least, my idea is to give a prize to the winner straight away and not to award points that need to be accumulated to redeem prizes. Such reward points system take more resources to track and to sustain long term though it promotes royalty, plus you need to go through the trouble of providing many different stuff for members' redemption and risk some stuff being unwanted (unless you don't buy them upfront). A one-off reward kind of contest is easy to start off and terminated.

Comment

so your suggestion is not about rewards system? but a suggestion for prize given for showcase?

if that is the case, then it would be taken into consideration later. in short, we have discuss about it internally but some of the constraints are what is the prize to be? would member be interested to take part if the value of the prize is deem too low a value for them to even consider to participate? what is considered creative and original? how do you suggest we go about it? start a thread, thread to be close in say 10 days? members can submit how many pictures? what if the pictures were taken from the internet? is picture being edited allowed if yes, to what extent. that last thing we want is a prize is given to an undeserving winner.

what weight to be given to members' vote and what weight given to judges? who are the judges? who holds the final vote as in member vote first then judge cast their votes? will results when announced be complained that there is favoritism?

as you can see, there are several issues we have to deal. do we want to run like a semi professional/ professional contest? or is it to be a fun loving contest? if it is a fun loving contest, then there should be less constraints.

sg-roc prefers to provide a platform for members to participate, just like the charity fund raising event.

As suggested earlier, sg-roc team to pick/short list a few for voting. I don't see a better way than that. The poll can have up to 10 options so short list 5 to 10 threads for members' voting. For simplicity, instead of the members' voting 50% and judges 50% system that I suggested earlier, the judges could just look at the 3 most voted threads and then decide on the winner among themselves. The reason I don't suggest 100% members' voting to determine the result, is that it might lead to people trying to manipulate the result (by you-know-how) or rally for votes based on relationship rather than merit.

Talking about showcase, the judges might want to consider giving marks for the effort to also write something interesting (such as experience/motivation of the purchase or even a mini review) along with the pics. Originality is very important as we want to discourage people from posting different pics of the same watch over and over again just because of the rewards.

Last but not least, my idea is to give a prize to the winner straight away and not to award points that need to be accumulated to redeem prizes. Such reward points system take more resources to track and to sustain long term though it promotes royalty, plus you need to go through the trouble of providing many different stuff for members' redemption and risk some stuff being unwanted (unless you don't buy them upfront). A one-off reward kind of contest is easy to start off and terminated.

kindly email with
                        2. your nick

Comment

My idea is on the basis that sg-roc just want to reward members or give something to members in appreciation of their support. Hence my consideration is to keep it simple. There is no need to even "submit" to participate. The moderators/admin just pick some threads from a certain pre-defined period for voting. All that need to be done is for the forum to announce such contest, its judging criteria etc and hopefully some members will put in a little more effort in their thread and collectively raise the bar of this forum a bit.

I see that you are still very concerned about what prize is most appropriate, and what way of short listing/voting/deciding the winner is fairest etc. If so maybe it is better to drop this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Rolex116613
                            Why don't we just all vote to decide what kind of reward system is best for ROC?
                            Or do a show of hands at the anniversary dinner

Comment

Take my word, will never happen::
                              Well, I have contributed my idea and have said what I want to say on this topic.

Comment

What if the rewards system is implemented? It seems like you are throwing a challenge to the SG-ROC forum.

Take my word, will never happen::

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X