Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi Destro,
    thanks for the sharing.
    after reading ur reply. I'm feel like want to share something out.
    but not my story. is Sharon's.

Sharon like Rolex very much. she told me she never like Panerai watches, although we are making straps mainly for pam. she told me that " pam is not nice for lady, and it is so heavy and can't lift up arm when strapped on.
    but there one GTG organized by on of my friend and customer for pam. after that GTG she start to ask me about pam things. and right Now she got a pam 00 herself while I'm overseas .
    just like to share out. you don't get one, you really can't tell the different. now she everyday change different straps to work. her Boss asked her " how come u everyday u change new watch"

regards
    jason

Originally posted by Destro22BT View Post
    Ahh... Let me share my story. In 2004, before I became a watch collector, I've always considered the Rolex as the grail watch, like many others. Face it, it's one of the top brands in the whole world. In house movement, timeless case design, as good as instant cash strapped to the wrist, that 'woah! he wears a lolek neh!' attention u get. What more can you ask?

I knew of Panerai that time, seeing as one of my neighbours donned a PAM115 Destro. A Destro Luminor felt 'right' to me with its crown guard on the left, perhaps because it's my first encounter with panerai in the flesh, though it was only a lukewarm feel towards it. It irked me knowing that Panerai houses a cheap ass unitas mvt that costs US$75. I tot to myself, maybe geddit after I get my first Rolex. In 2005, after reviewing the Rolex thread in HWZ Forum (which ultimately gave birth to sg-roc), I took the plunge and bought my first Sub Date. I was in love and it was a dream come true. Subsequently, after getting over the initial euphoria of owning the Sub Date, I tot... maybe it's time I got myself a 'lesser' watch, which I decided to be a PAM115 destro, seeing more and more ppl on the streets with Panerai strapped to their wrist. It was a difficult hunt for the watch given my budget of S$5k, but one fine day, I received a call from my AD and he mentioned that there is a piece of PAM112H available for me should I want it. The discount was fabulous, so I tot... why not? and decided that this first Panerai 112H will be a 'fun' watch. It did feel funny at first, at a huge 44mm case...and constantly, I tot my purchase was really over the top, overpaying for a watch with such a cheap movement, but wat the hell? But the funny thing was that I started to wear the Panerai more than the Subdate. And on days when I wore the Subdate, I missed my Panerai and immediately switched to it when I reached home. Funny... I thought to myself, but each time I felt that way, I assurred myself... Rolex is still the grail for me...full stop. In 2006, I sold my subdate and went for the dweller for the cleaner look. I also bought a PAM190I which was made available to me (now that is a piece that's worth it's price IMO... it's got a 8day complication). To free up funds for the PAM190, I had to sell one, and decided that it's my PAM112. And after the initial PAM190 excitement, I experienced this thing called seller's remourse. It was bad. I missed it to bits. I wanted my 112 back badly. I regretted the sale and it was difficult to say why. It just felt wrong. Though I regretted, I told myself that if I were to get a Luminor back on my wrist... but it has to be a Destro, because that's what I've always wanted. Then as fate had it arranged for me... I chanced upon a PAM22 at one of the dealers. He didn't know what he was selling me... a prized PAM22 with 'T' dial, no longer in production. He quoted me what I tot was a good price for it, and I took it without the need to even think. And recently, I cleared all my Rolex collection for Panerai. I tot to myself if I'd feel that seller's remourse for my Dweller... and feared it would strike me the second time. But somehow along the way, the dweller became just too small for me...and after months of selling it, I never did feel any remourse.

I'm not saying that Panerai sings to every man on the street, in fact, I've seen ppl ditching Panerai for Rolex simply because it's not their cuppa tea, perhaps members of sg-roc who has gone this way could share their experience?

Many have said the big watch fad will go away since 2003/2004. Look at things now, the demand for Panerai is still through the roof (not to mention its price!), how often do you actually see a piece on display at the dealers, and for how long? And let's look at Rolex... Re-edition of Milgauss at 40mm, GMT 2 having a redesigned larger-looking case, the release of deep sea dweller at 43.5mm. Why? And what next? Explorer 2 getting a larger case? I leave it to the readers to decide, dun wish to enter into an argument in any case

But for my case, some logical reasons for the love of Panerai is the case design with the crown guard, the size, the attention it gets, the versatility of it (in terms of strap choices, u'll never get enough!) and the way it holds its value NOW. But mainly, the love for Panerai is really illogical for me...I really can't explain... I just smile everytime its on my wrist, it feels good to wind it every morning, and like how many Paneristi sum it up... Get your first Panerai and u'll know why.

Comment

• Well said Bro Destro.

I started noticing Pam in 2000 in those Jap magazines. It was love at first sight. But, was abit worried the size then. In 2001, I bought my first Pam. I was aiming for the 40mm for awhile & finally, one appeared in one of the famous watch dealer(if not the most famous). I made a phone call to check the availability & rushed down immediately with my mrs. Without second thoughts, I bought the watch. The price is cheap comparing it with the current price, but it was my most expensive watch then.
      I started to surf those watch dealers' web regularly & came across many rare pieces. But, I was still a mountain tortise then, and many pieces which now cost a bomb just passed me by. All this while, I was in touch with the watch world. Until 1st quarter of 2007, when my job was more stable & better paid, that I really put my heart into it. Also, my other hobbies was slowing down or totally cut off, that I could concentrate on my watch (or Pam) collection.
      Now, I'm basically a 1 brand watch man. All my other watches (IWC, Cartier, DJR, GG etc) do not receive any wrist time at all. Like it was said before many times, once you put on a Pam, the rest are just watches. Once a Pam, always a Pam.

Dino

Comment

• Bro Dino... an emotive paragraph from you... wow.. and being someone who has started dwelling into PAMs since year 2000, you must've gotten your PAM at a very very good price! So your very first PAM is an 'A'/'B' series I suppose?

Yeap, that's the 'problem' with wearing PAMs... once u strap it on, the rest of the watches become second rate citizens in the stable (for many ppl).
        "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
        --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

• u can't live well without a luminor, the rad though nice, but it can never replace a luminor!
          Last edited by triton; 01-10-08, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
          Working...
          X