X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chershen View Post
    very interesting thread.

i had the same questions as you did.

but frankly, when you see a panerai. it really does appeal and attract.

with the different straps combi, it is a very attractive watch. amidst my fave rolexes, i have a sole 005 to cure my inert fantasy. owning one is probably enough with the many straps i am planning to get. i also set myself a limit for the pam. nothing more than 6k for one. anything more, a rolex is a rolex is a rolex. 10k for a pam, i rather a full gold DD.

current prices are driven by economics - supplier restricts supply and so on...

when you see the whoole package of the pam, you will see that is a worth your $.

you are right in that they use base ETA movement but do refer to another thread where this was discuss, watch makers like pam and such rebuild the components to their specs.

it is quite personal. perhaps, once you have cured your urges for rolexes, other temptations will kick in...

cheers.
    YES!! Fellow DD lover! DD FTW! hahaha..I am trying to aim for the YG DJ/DD but still afraid YG doesn't suit me.

Originally posted by Destro22BT View Post
    Ahh... Let me share my story. In 2004, before I became a watch collector, I've always considered the Rolex as the grail watch, like many others. Face it, it's one of the top brands in the whole world. In house movement, timeless case design, as good as instant cash strapped to the wrist, that 'woah! he wears a lolek neh!' attention u get. What more can you ask?

I knew of Panerai that time, seeing as one of my neighbours donned a PAM115 Destro. A Destro Luminor felt 'right' to me with its crown guard on the left, perhaps because it's my first encounter with panerai in the flesh, though it was only a lukewarm feel towards it. It irked me knowing that Panerai houses a cheap ass unitas mvt that costs US$75. I tot to myself, maybe geddit after I get my first Rolex. In 2005, after reviewing the Rolex thread in HWZ Forum (which ultimately gave birth to sg-roc), I took the plunge and bought my first Sub Date. I was in love and it was a dream come true. Subsequently, after getting over the initial euphoria of owning the Sub Date, I tot... maybe it's time I got myself a 'lesser' watch, which I decided to be a PAM115 destro, seeing more and more ppl on the streets with Panerai strapped to their wrist. It was a difficult hunt for the watch given my budget of S$5k, but one fine day, I received a call from my AD and he mentioned that there is a piece of PAM112H available for me should I want it. The discount was fabulous, so I tot... why not? and decided that this first Panerai 112H will be a 'fun' watch. It did feel funny at first, at a huge 44mm case...and constantly, I tot my purchase was really over the top, overpaying for a watch with such a cheap movement, but wat the hell? But the funny thing was that I started to wear the Panerai more than the Subdate. And on days when I wore the Subdate, I missed my Panerai and immediately switched to it when I reached home. Funny... I thought to myself, but each time I felt that way, I assurred myself... Rolex is still the grail for me...full stop. In 2006, I sold my subdate and went for the dweller for the cleaner look. I also bought a PAM190I which was made available to me (now that is a piece that's worth it's price IMO... it's got a 8day complication). To free up funds for the PAM190, I had to sell one, and decided that it's my PAM112. And after the initial PAM190 excitement, I experienced this thing called seller's remourse. It was bad. I missed it to bits. I wanted my 112 back badly. I regretted the sale and it was difficult to say why. It just felt wrong. Though I regretted, I told myself that if I were to get a Luminor back on my wrist... but it has to be a Destro, because that's what I've always wanted. Then as fate had it arranged for me... I chanced upon a PAM22 at one of the dealers. He didn't know what he was selling me... a prized PAM22 with 'T' dial, no longer in production. He quoted me what I tot was a good price for it, and I took it without the need to even think. And recently, I cleared all my Rolex collection for Panerai. I tot to myself if I'd feel that seller's remourse for my Dweller... and feared it would strike me the second time. But somehow along the way, the dweller became just too small for me...and after months of selling it, I never did feel any remourse.

I'm not saying that Panerai sings to every man on the street, in fact, I've seen ppl ditching Panerai for Rolex simply because it's not their cuppa tea, perhaps members of sg-roc who has gone this way could share their experience?

Many have said the big watch fad will go away since 2003/2004. Look at things now, the demand for Panerai is still through the roof (not to mention its price!), how often do you actually see a piece on display at the dealers, and for how long? And let's look at Rolex... Re-edition of Milgauss at 40mm, GMT 2 having a redesigned larger-looking case, the release of deep sea dweller at 43.5mm. Why? And what next? Explorer 2 getting a larger case? I leave it to the readers to decide, dun wish to enter into an argument in any case

But for my case, some logical reasons for the love of Panerai is the case design with the crown guard, the size, the attention it gets, the versatility of it (in terms of strap choices, u'll never get enough!) and the way it holds its value NOW. But mainly, the love for Panerai is really illogical for me...I really can't explain... I just smile everytime its on my wrist, it feels good to wind it every morning, and like how many Paneristi sum it up... Get your first Panerai and u'll know why.
    First thing...I cant believe I finish reading this...hahahha

Some love it...some hate it...it's ur call ultimately.

Originally posted by minusplus View Post
    I am like many others here. Panerais never appealed to me and I could never understand why it was so popular.

Slowly, once you see one, hold one, and wear one, you will start to appreciate them
    I am still sticking to my wish of Big Bang,FM,PP and Rollies I try not to have more than that hahas

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Bro feudallordcult, maybe u should try on a simpler PAM? For sure, different strokes for different folks, maybe your preference is in chronographs in regards to Panerai. I sure do like chronos, but when it comes to Panerai, my preference is towards the simple dials and manual winds, 112, 111, 219, 176,177. Hold it in your hands, wind it, and maybe u'll fall in love with it?
      u hit the nail on the head. i didn't like the daylight cos i think it's too busy. considering there was only ONE pammy on display, i wasn't exactly spoilt for choice. thanks for the tip though, i held one sometime ago before i fell for the SD trap.

anyway, paid a visit to a pre-owned shop at chinatown just now, saw a radiomir or something. just touch cos i know it won't be cheap. very mint and comes complete.
      Remnants of my irresponsibility:
      "Foreign affections"
      1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
      2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
      3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
      4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
      What's NEXT?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
        I am still sticking to my wish of Big Bang,FM,PP and Rollies I try not to have more than that hahas
        u want big bang swiss football edition or the the one oro101 selling in garage sales?
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
          u want big bang swiss football edition or the the one oro101 selling in garage sales?
          I want EPL 1 got not? Chelsea got not? hahahhaha... If chelsea ah..i tell u...that 1 sure jump queue and first on the list...

The 1 oro101 selling...that type

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

After the recent price hike for pams, I feel they are really over priced.
            What I bought in Nov 07 is 2K more expensive now, this is simply crazy.
            Don't get me wrong, I am still very much in love with pams, but I just won't get another one now (unless it's a 292) cos I feel it ain't worth it.

I always ask myself two questions before I make any watch purchase:
            1) Can I afford it?
            2) How much do I want it?

The "want" for me now is heading southwards.

Many might disagree with me, but to me, a watch is only worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay for. Just my 2 cents.
            Pam 232
            Pam 164
            Pam 49

Comment

It's nice but expensive (in fact everything is), all boils down to personal preference.
              I will be patient and wait for mine to come else i might just turn my attention to others

Cheers
              Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712G
              Audemars Piguet 15400ST.OO.1220ST.02
              Rolex Seadweller 126600
              Rolex Deepsea Seadweller 116660
              Rolex Submariner 16610
              Tudor Pelagos LHD
              Panerai 233
              Panerai 104
              Bell & Ross BR03-92 Phantom
              Sinn Ultimate U
              Sinn U2 S
              Sinn U1 Black (Stealth)
              Sinn U1
              Dievas Shadow
              Vihelm Talos (Blue)
              Vilhelm Elemental (Gunmetal)
              Zelos Hammerhead Bronze
              Tag Heuer F1 Chronograph (White)
              Seiko Arctura Kinetic Chronograph
              Seiko Sportura Kinetic Chronograph

Comment

Originally posted by pam1938 View Post
                Many might disagree with me, but to me, a watch is only worth as much as a buyer is willing to pay for. Just my 2 cents.
                Spot on!

Ender
                "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                three times is enemy action and
                over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                ."

Comment

The thing I don't like about them is that they are fairly easy to fake. Panerai have ETA movements and the cases are very simple. I have seen models from HK that experts cannot distinguish as fakes. These fakes are only about $800!!!!
                  So those planning to buy preowned one not really recommended as it maybe fake, even experts cannot distinguish it from real.
                  Last edited by george; 17-04-08, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
                    The thing I don't like about them is that they are fairly easy to fake. Panerai have ETA movements and the cases are very simple. I have seen models from HK that experts cannot distinguish as fakes. These fakes are only about $800!!!!
                    So those planning to buy preowned one not really recommended as it maybe fake, even experts cannot distinguish it from real.
                    That's what I first thought too, cause if the original imitation rolexes out there already so good, what more e.g. a base panerai? But there are tell-tale signs which the scammer have not learnt to mask... just got to visit forums like paneristi.com to read up on the model you are eyeing and learn...
                    "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                    three times is enemy action and
                    over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                    ."

Comment

this beast will sersiously put the deepsea to shame. was told that this will cost over 10k, is that true?
                      "Foreign affections"
                      1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                      What's NEXT?

Comment

How deep can that beast go?

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post

this beast will sersiously put the deepsea to shame. was told that this will cost over 10k, is that true?
                          Based on current market sentiments, it's about S$18k iirc for the PAM187.
                          "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
                          --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Based on current market sentiments, it's about S$18k iirc for the PAM187.
                            well, looks like it's WAY out of my league. time to look for other more affordable alternatives.
                            "Foreign affections"
                            1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
                            What's NEXT?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                              YES!! Fellow DD lover! DD FTW! hahaha..I am trying to aim for the YG DJ/DD but still afraid YG doesn't suit me.

if you wear TT DJ will be better then a YG DD, unless you are willing to splurge on WG DD, that may *just* blend in with your age. the president bracelet put a few years to anyone .... i wore my dad DD, and people think i was a father and my father the ah kong. honestly, people think i easily 30 *piangz*
                              [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                              Blue 6694
                              Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                              [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                              [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                                well, looks like it's WAY out of my league. time to look for other more affordable alternatives.
                                Yeap, the price for the PAM187 is really way off for me as well. The other submersible that I'd want is the PAM87 with blue dial, costs about $8-9k and has yet to appreciate through the roof unlike the others.
                                "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
                                --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X