No announcement yet.

Panerai overpriced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so after reading darth-khips', and as per subject, pams are still overpriced !
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by darth-khips View Post
      yeah, i just wanted to create a more balance view of panerai. the "rich" romance and heritage must be balanced by realizing that their watches towards the end actually FAILED italian naval requirements. mind the gap between 1956 and 1980 where the company essentailly went no where. even the 1956 supply deal to the Egyptian navy....bear in mind whatever heroics, they were actually on the losting side of the war!!!and supplying egyptian navy aint exactly something to shout about.
      er, not sure what happened btw 1956-1980. also, i think whether they were on the winning/ losing side during ww2 (iirc, the italians eventually joined the allies and so were on the winning side! ) is not really an issue, the point is that their watches were made for war and did see war.
      "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
      three times is enemy action and
      over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
      ."

Comment

the thing i love about panerai is the unique marketing and branding excercise. how a work tool morphed into a luxury item. the brand DNA is just superb, ignoring theose nonsense about being a "heros watch".
        the brand is also moving up the value chain, with tourbillion, own manufactury at ValFleurier, or more accurately dedicated manufactury from richmont. the development of own caliber p2002, p2003 auto, p2004 and now p2005 tourbillion.
        work tool into a luxury item? nothing unique there ... today's submariner, explorer, turnograph, milgauss are known as sports model, but when they were first introduced some 40-50yrs ago, they were created for specific professions and known as toolwatches.
        marketing and branding is unavoidable for all luxury items and to a very large extent, is directly related to the success of the product... check out this snippet of information found from the website of another collector across the causeway

"To launch his company's new timepiece into the popular consciousness, Wilsdorf came up with an ingenious publicity stunt. After learning that a young British woman named Mercedes Gleitze was planning to swim across the English Channel, he presented her with a Rolex Oyster and dispatched a photographer to chronicle her endeavor. When Gleitze emerged triumphantly from the sea, her Oyster was keeping perfect time and, true to its name, had remained waterproof. Wilsdorf capitalized with a splashy front-page ad in London's Daily Mail newspaper, touting "The Wonder Watch that Defies the Elements: Moisture Proof. Waterproof. Heat Proof. Vibration Proof. Cold Proof. Dust Proof." It was the genesis of the famous Rolex testimonial ad campaign that continues to this day."

as for moving up the food chain, developing its own movement is the right way forward for it to be taken seriously though personally, till today, i find it hard to reconcile the toubillion thingy though with its begining as a tool watch....
        "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
        three times is enemy action and
        over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
        ."

Comment

Originally posted by shuseido View Post
          You know what darth-khips bro. I always love to read your comments, fair, no bias, middle... great to have you here and pls contribute more...
          thks mate, just contributing my limited horological knowledge.
          It is with our judgments as with our watches; no two go just alike, yet each believes his own.
          Alexander Pope

Comment

your limit is much bigger than my limit....

thks mate, just contributing my limited horological knowledge.

Comment

.......mind the gap between 1956 and 1980 where the company essentailly went no where. even the 1956 supply deal to the Egyptian navy....bear in mind whatever heroics, they were actually on the losting side of the war!!!and supplying egyptian navy aint exactly something to shout about......
              I dunno where you got your history from, but I flip thru the book titled, "Panerai in Florence 150 Years of History" by former CEO of Panerai, Mr Dino Zei.....there's no gap in any decades for Panerai.....

Bear in mind that Richmont or previously Vendome Grp only bought the rights to to use the Luminor & Radomir casing for commercial purpose in 1997.

The division in charge of producing watches & instruments for Italian Navy is still a privately own company that's not purchased by Richemont of anyone else, ever.
              It's still churning out watches & instruments under full secrecy as it's protected by Italian secrecy laws that strictly prohibit any publications or reproductions or manufacturing.

The very fact that no watch can use the wordings "Marina Militare" without approval from Italian Navy is a proof of this.
              PAM36, 217 & 267s, "Marina Militare" prints were approved by Italian Navy for public use.

If you speak of gap, mind you that between 1980s up to 1996, almost 2000 watchmaking companies & related support services Co. went bust in Switzerland no thanks to Quartz revolution that got started by ironically a consortium on Swiss watchmakers that was copied by Seiko, Citizen Orient, & Casio.

Only a handful of watch companies today are 100% manufacturer.

Even Rolex SA do not & has never claim in-house horlogerie manufacturer.
              The links or bracelets for Rolex are made by ARTeLinks.
              Hands & dials for Rolex are outsourced to ArTeCad.
              Steel case for Rolex watches are made by SWATCH group
              Rolex movements are made by Valjoux's secret assembly division that's protected under Swiss law & it's ebouche are loosely implemented by Dubuis Depraz.
              Diamonds for Rolex are cut and polished by

FYI, ARTeLinks, ArTeCad, Valjoux & Dubuis Depraz are owned by SWATCH and shared by LVMH, Richemont & many others in a secret deal chaired by Swiss govt since 1997.

Everyone in the industry knows about this.

To add, except PP & VC, almost all of Swiss watch making industry share the SWATCH facilities which actually owned by Swiss govt and this included Audemars Piguet, Breilting, Zenith, BRM, Tiffacy, Mont Blanc, Chopard, Omega, TAG & many other brands.

The only thing that Rolex made in-house is the gold case in it's own foundries.

The reason everyone had to depend on shared facilities is due to many blueprints and watch making skills that were lost along with the passing of time, watchmaer, masters & craftsmans during these dark period of mechanical watches in 1980 & 1990s.

The situation is so bad that in 1990s, no one in Switzerland apart from ValJoux's ETA arm know how implement an ebouche.

So, after the revival on interest in mechanical watches thanks, ironcially to the our Japanese collectors who got sick of Quartz in mid-1990s, almost all of wathes & this include Rolex are actually made by Swatch till today.

These companies like Rolex, AP, GP, Omega & TAG cover up the story of facility sharing by using a stakeholdings as claim that that foundry on this location & this bulding belongs to them when in actual fact, the building has not sighboards and is SHARED.

Pls goto Valley of Joux to check my facts...none of the foundries are tagged.

Many watch companies like Omega, Cartier, Heuer, Zenith & etc had to be liquidated & put up for sale. Most brands that're viable are bought by Swatch, Richemont, LVMH & etc which explains this arrangement.

In fact, 2 yrs ago, BRM, Graham, Hublot, B&R & U-Boat up the ante when the sourced semi-complete parts from China using child & slave labour!

The fact that Panerai is clean & above this mess is the reason why it's so collectible even when it never or seldom make any case till 1980s.
              It never make any mvmt till 2002!

Patek is used by royal dynasties worldwide since 1880s.
              If you got $, then go buy PP & tell everone it's not overpriced.

Rolex is nothing but a mere watch trader till 1950s which print "Rolex" on peoples' product.

The very fact it was rejected by NASA for space missions & US Airforce test flight speaks volumes in 1960 & 1970s.
              Rolex gave the stupid reason their USA sales dept agent was late to deliver the watches....I find this reason very amusing as how can you miss delivering all the watches for all the 19 Apollo missions?

Using Edmund Hillary who actually is not the 1st man on Everest but claimed to be so, reckless Pan-Am pilots that practically crashed so many planes that Pan-Am folded, LPGA tournaments, meaningless Regattas, mundane James Bonds films & ads blitz in every known maganizes & nations' dailies worldwide is the only good thing about Rolex & nothing else since 1940s till today.

Luckily James bond realized this and changed to Omega.

AP is only good in churning out same shaped & same mvmt watches under many material guises like rubber & carbon for it's ROO using losers like Juan Pablo Montoya, Rubbens Barrachelo & Shaquille O'Neil and serial rapist & mollester Arnold Schwarzenegger bereft of any real applications history.

I thanks heavens Panerai is the only brand that's free from any ambassador.
              I shudder to think how much money actually went to team Alinghi, Michael Schumacher, Nicole Kidman, Kimi Raikonen, Uma Thurman, Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, John Travolta, Nicholas Cage, Internation Space Station & many others than going into the watch.

In fact, I lost count how many brands sponsored Antartica expeditions.

The very reason why these brands had to use ambassadors & event or expediction to ply their watches if the very reason why so many like me are put off by these brands.

I rather pay USD30k for a watch that's worth USD300 like PAM341 because it's a hommage to the real people who use it in 1956 in Egypt than cheats like Edmund Hillary and losers like Juan Pablo Montoya & Barrachelo.

I've never lost any monies on Panerai.
              I lost so much monies on Rolex that I lost count....

Lastly, no offense here, ALL WATCHES ARE OVERPRIZED....
              Anyone who paid above USD100 for a watch is overpaying....

Comment

Another A paper...

Comment

One question bro, I thought Panerai became popular after Sylvester Stallone weared a Panerai Luminor Marina many many years back and create this "oversized watch crazy"?

Later, Panerai introduced a limited edition of 200 pieces in conjunction with famed actor Sylvester Stallone for their "Slytech" line of watches. The "Luminor Daylight" follows the design of the wristwatch worn by Stallone in the 1996 movie "Daylight".

Originally posted by Fred_Tan View Post

I thanks heavens Panerai is the only brand that's free from any ambassador.
                  I shudder to think how much money actually went to team Alinghi, Michael Schumacher, Nicole Kidman, Kimi Raikonen, Uma Thurman, Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, John Travolta, Nicholas Cage, Internation Space Station & many others than going into the watch.

In fact, I lost count how many brands sponsored Antartica expeditions.

The very reason why these brands had to use ambassadors & event or expediction to ply their watches if the very reason why so many like me are put off by these brands.

I rather pay USD30k for a watch that's worth USD300 like PAM341 because it's a hommage to the real people who use it in 1956 in Egypt than cheats like Edmund Hillary and losers like Juan Pablo Montoya & Barrachelo.

I've never lost any monies on Panerai.
                  I lost so much monies on Rolex that I lost count....

Lastly, no offense here, ALL WATCHES ARE OVERPRIZED....
                  Anyone who paid above USD100 for a watch is overpaying....

Comment

Panerai I Love You!

speechless........................................ .................................................. ..........................................

Comment

Fred,

As much as I love my Pams and know why I love them (thus can agree with your stand), I think your manner of expression may not go down well with others......espcially since this is a Rolex forum.

Well. To put it more balanced. I have more Pams than Rolexes and APs but I never find them overpriced or I wouldn't be buying them.

I find some Rolex/Pams/AP overpriced but some others not. It is all down to personal preference. Eg: A $8000 16750 is not overpriced to me but a $7500 SubLV is. To others, it may be the opposite. So, it's rather relative. I would choose a $6000 sub over a Pam 111 but would get a 249 over a Daytona.

Comment

249 over a Daytona?

Originally posted by Democritus View Post
                        Fred,

As much as I love my Pams and know why I love them (thus can agree with your stand), I think your manner of expression may not go down well with others......espcially since this is a Rolex forum.

Well. To put it more balanced. I have more Pams than Rolexes and APs but I never find them overpriced or I wouldn't be buying them.

I find some Rolex/Pams/AP overpriced but some others not. It is all down to personal preference. Eg: A $8000 16750 is not overpriced to me but a $7500 SubLV is. To others, it may be the opposite. So, it's rather relative. I would choose a $6000 sub over a Pam 111 but would get a 249 over a Daytona.

Comment

Fred,

...I think your manner of expression may not go down well with others......espcially since this is a Rolex forum..

Yes, sir, I'll tone down...

Comment

Panerai is an overpriced ghost brand, a figment of its own former imagination, making its own gaudy overpriced frankenhomages to its own vintage models.

It's hard for me to believe these things continue escalating in price, and I'm not sure they will continue holding value once the big clunky watch fad dies off.

Comment

Fred,

Fred is the NO.1 PAM LOVER & SUPPORTER

But, I did not realise that there are so many secrets

Dino

Comment

Hmmm, Panerai has no ambassadors? What about Mike Horn? To a certain extent, Slyvester Stallone was used as an ambassador prior to Richemont's purchase of Panerai, with the creation of Slytechs

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X