X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
    Sell a few watches to buy one, is fine.

To keep only one watch, won't work for you, especially when the one watch is a Daytona. You would be wearing the watch very carefully so it won't be your go-everywhere watch. You need at least another watch like a Seiko or something (so you could keep the one that you currently have).

Because watches are like potato chips...
    The wise one has spoken....

Because watches are like potato chips!

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      Hi people,

I'm really at two minds about selling away all my watches to just have one/two in my collection. I hate it when I couldn't share enough time with the few that I have. Do you think I should do that? I only have a few humble (and I mean it) watches so the one I am getting will not be 'alarmingly' expensive. And I don't need you to guess, I am intending to stop this watch craze thingy after getting a brand new ROLEX Daytona (116520). By being able to afford it, I'm talking about selling off 4-5 watches.

If you are free, share your thoughts with me.

Thank you
      I keep my collection lean and will try to sell at least 1 before buying another.
      But there are some core team members that are keepers due to sentimental values or other reasons.

Daytona is a classic and I kinda regretted selling my black dial 116520. Eventually got another black dial 116520 for my wife and a 116528 panda for myself.

So let go a few of your non core pieces if you must and start enjoying your Daytona!
      Body Of Fat, Heart Of Gold.

Comment

considering how Rolex keeps on increasing the prices....

if you intend to get a Daytona, better do it sooner than later. if it means having to pay installments, then by all means as well. just make sure the installment is still within what you can spare monthly.

i am saying this from my own experience when i bought my first DSSD for more than 2 years ago with good discount. now the same watch is probably 3-4k more.
        I don't need another watch.

Comment

Another alternative is to sell off those watches that you are not wearing anymore and do partial cash upfront and partial credit card installment but of course you must managed your money properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
            You see, you see?! That's the problem and I want to stop all these. I still love watches but I can't seem to feel 'absorbed' to one if I have too many. Then I'll just feel like selling it and move to another. And it's not like I don't lose money for each buy-sell-buy again cycle.
            coming from that point, I gotta agree... if u are going on that approach to get ur Daytona, by all means go get it... I started with my Exp 2... but the more I looked at the Daytona, I felt I needed it.. so made a small loss on the Exp 2 & topped up for a Daytona.. got the less popular white face (same as my Exp 2) which was slightly cheaper than the black, cuz give myself the excuse that I got 1 black face (my Sub C), so I need 1 white face to complement... lol..

been stuck with both pieces for the last 8mths... always looking for more watches, but I don't bear to let the 2 I have now to go, so just save for the next piece..

ok, back to ur story... I personally feel the Daytona is somewhat 1 of the Rolex holy grail, so if u dun need to sell a kidney to get it, u shld go ahead.. sell the 1s u usually dun wear & top up the difference..

here's what my other half tells me when I go watch hunting (which was like yday)..

"u only got 1 hand, how many watches u can actually rotate everytime"

"买多,不如买少,买少,不如买好!"

she's actually pushing me to let go my present 2 pieces & get the Rose-gold 116515 chocolate dial... bleah...
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current:
            BALL Fireman Ionsphere
            Rolex Daytona 116520 M series
            Rolex Sub C 116610LN AN series

Gone:
            BALL Trainmaster Pulsemeter Pro
            IWC GST Chronograph 3707
            Rolex Explorer II D series
            Rolex Sub 16610 M series

Next Target:
            Rolex Day-date 18239!! The president.. :D:D
            AP????

In the meantime:
            Save $$ ar!!! & hope strike TOTO or Big Sweep!! :pray:

Comment

Great thread.
              Im sure every second in the world, there's someone asking themselves this question.

Ocean, i think you might not stop at the Daytona anyway. For me at least, an everyday watch has to be rugged and yet classic, practical and yet hardy. Kinda like James Bond, anytime can do anything. The Daytona is almost all, but ... No date. :S Therefore, occasional or frequent wear maybe, but at least for me, a Daytona wont be the only 1 or 2 watch. Not sure if you might feel this way eventually, just my humble 2.5 cts worth.
              Hope you will be able to stop your poison, but unlikely! Hahaha

Good luck with the hunt, let us know!

Comment

Good read. Just sold one watch to build up ammo for another..

Just do it!!

Comment

Woah guys ! ..... tx for the sharing so far

It seems most are agreeable to selling (other watches) and buying the Daytona. But none feels I should stop this hobby. It's not really about 'killing' a hobby but more of finding a way to keep my watch(es), and stop the stupid selling and selling. I really wish I can hold on to one watch for a long long time, so it's like finding "the ONE".

I think moderating this forum is a real 'barrier' to stopping this "poisonous and addictive" hobby. May be I should just hibernate away for a while
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

buy the best you can

Comment

Originally posted by Rolex116613
                      Your dream watch should not appear in your dreams but on your wrist.
                      Once it's on your wrist, it's not a dream anymore. You will have another other dream watch in your mind.
                      It's a perpetual cycle.

Comment

Do you think you can/will be satisfied with that "one" watch? Or are you the type who prefers variety. If you like variety is your choice of a Daytona versatile enough for the times when you want a change? For eg, I go through phases where I want to wear just bracelet and nothing else, or a strap or just nato. Do you feel the Daytona can handle that?

Comment

How long to get is ok...makes the wait sweeter...bo bian right unless super high pay...BTW i wore my TT GMT for 3 years before i finally got my Bee! and yes i sold my GMT... do i miss it. Yes. but ok la...else also not much wrist time to wear them all right? and serving gonna kill if got so many automatics....

Can i suggest to get the 116515 instead? im a brand whore and hope to have 1 of AP, rolex and PP before getting others...

Comment

When you have gotten your one dream watch, you will itch for another watch and the dream continues. I have consolidated my collections before and had this "one watch" dream but it has not materialised. When I have the dream watch, I started to consider selling the one and only dream watch for 2 or 3 watches of high value cos I can't bear to wear this one and only dream watch as daily beater! Just my experience and nightmare to keep this hobby. Let the dream continues ..
                            Just another small small small small watch user ....

Comment

Originally posted by ngokyc View Post
                              When you have gotten your one dream watch, you will itch for another watch and the dream continues. I have consolidated my collections before and had this "one watch" dream but it has not materialised. When I have the dream watch, I started to consider selling the one and only dream watch for 2 or 3 watches of high value cos I can't bear to wear this one and only dream watch as daily beater! Just my experience and nightmare to keep this hobby. Let the dream continues ..
                              You got both 'nightmares' and 'dreams'? Seems this is taking a toll on you
                              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

the "humble" pieces are constantly in your drawer, which you are not enjoying them. So will it not be better off sending them to better homes, for the new owners to spend more time with them? You yourself can then buy your desired piece and enjoy, appreciate the wear more often.

So i think you should sell off your "humble" pieces and buy the watch you desired.
                                Life's short.. enjoy it (life, not watch) while you can.

do it, do it, come on do it
                                http://<div class="videocontainer"> ... </a> </div>
                                Last edited by alantannottam; 02-04-13, 11:45 PM.
                                在幻变的生命里, 岁月, 原来是最大的小偷...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X