Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why buy an expensive watch when a cheap one does the same trick?

Wrong!

An expensive watch does more than telling time (by expensive i refer to a 5 figure or more price tag, and by cheap i refer to a 3 figure or less price tag)

It all comes down to how the item makes us feel - the more expensive the watch, the better the form, fit, finish and workmanship, true, but it is not just about being accurate and reliable, its about the status symbol, the 'feel-good' factor.

Unlike other expensive collection eg art, cars, etc, a watch stays on your wrist most of the time while you are awake - you would be reminded every time you looked at your wrist. There is a constant connection. It’s a great feeling. Not just the excitement of owning and wearing the watch, but also the reminder of your ability to allow that purchase.

If you have set aside a sum for this hobby, say 20k, there is 2 way to go about the collection - buy many cheaper pieces that adds up to 20k, or buy one or 2 really nice ones that adds up to the same 20k. I think the answer is obvious. For me, I get the best that I can afford
    Last edited by skydweller_sg; 08-04-13, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      Heh! Tx for more 'ideas' ... As for the " toss a coin " ..... well, ermmm.. it didn't work
      if the coin didn't work then you are truly confused

one a more serious note, however, if you think you have no connection, emotion, feeling or attachment to the watches you have now. it might be good to sell them to fund your grail.

personally, i don't sell watches that i buy, mainly because i think long and hard before purchasing them. there are, however, the exceptions here and there - watches that i somehow don't bond with.

all the best in your hunt for your grail.

Comment

I think I am quite fixed on getting the Daytona. The only 'uncertainty' is which watches to let go. I'll probably go slow (on the purchasing part) since it will take some time for me to sell those watches. And oh btw, I came across a white SS Daytona on display at the ROLEX boutique at ION over the weekends. I was offered $15,650 (list price) for it. And no, they did not have the black one.
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I think I am quite fixed on getting the Daytona. The only 'uncertainty' is which watches to let go. I'll probably go slow (on the purchasing part) since it will take some time for me to sell those watches. And oh btw, I came across a white SS Daytona on display at the ROLEX boutique at ION over the weekends. I was offered $15,650 (list price) for it. And no, they did not have the black one.
          the good thing abt getting from local AD is u get to pay in installments & interests free, so it's not so painful since u r paying over a period of time..
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current:
          BALL Fireman Ionsphere
          Rolex Daytona 116520 M series
          Rolex Sub C 116610LN AN series

Gone:
          BALL Trainmaster Pulsemeter Pro
          IWC GST Chronograph 3707
          Rolex Explorer II D series
          Rolex Sub 16610 M series

Next Target:
          Rolex Day-date 18239!! The president.. :D:D
          AP????

In the meantime:
          Save $$ ar!!! & hope strike TOTO or Big Sweep!! :pray:

Comment

Wahhhhh... you guys ahhh . If you are really sincere to help me, push my watch sales la . If I sell faster, I buy sooner . Go tell your friends, relatives, colleagues got one good guy want to sell his Black Bay. I give good price..hehe
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

"15 years" ... you are the man
              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

OceanK, you have already made a strong declaration above. Do it then.
                "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Comment

See how "mixed up" you are - "sell existing one", "fall in love with new one", "have sentimental value" ...

That's what I have been doing and that's precisely what I don't want to have to go thru' time and again . If this keeps going on, where's the "sentimental value" for each "existing one I sell" and continue to "fall in love with new one"... and buy and buy. I just wanna find one or two pieces to "fall in love with" and create "values that are sentimental" enough so that I won't sell anymore
                  Sorry for the confusion Ocean bro. Coz I only have 1 piece that has sentimental value to me and "She" is still with me now. No $$ to have many pieces with sentimental value lah.... Hee hee..

You have many pieces but not all have sentimental value right? So, sell those and fund the "new love" and hopefully this is the last time you need to sell and buy again.

Comment

Just kidding with you..hehe . Tx for advice .
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

I prefer it in stainless steel (SS)
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Do what makes you happy. They are afterall just material things. You only live once. Do it!

Comment

For that matter, i would sell every thing just for that grail. The only way to stop the itch is to scratch it.

Comment

Depends on yourself ba, to sell existing and get a Daytona. I was once in the same situation when I want to buy Daytona, I nearly sold both of my Rolex Subs to fund for the Daytona. But I luan in the end, but still got my Daytona. Go for whichever way that you will not regret.

The poison never stops.
                            Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Singapore only allows 1 lawful wife, so why limit yourself to 1 watch..Wear long already also will get tired one. IMO =)

Comment

Originally posted by zidaneong View Post
                                Depends on yourself ba, to sell existing and get a Daytona. I was once in the same situation when I want to buy Daytona, I nearly sold both of my Rolex Subs to fund for the Daytona. But I luan in the end, but still got my Daytona. Go for whichever way that you will not regret.

The poison never stops.
                                Hi bro I have the same situation here, was looking at the Daytona ceramic RG just now at Raffles City and suddenly got a urge to sell off my hulk and blue TT and top up for that, better lun first, still trying to get over it now haha...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X