No announcement yet.

Advisory : Protect Rolex from Scratches & How to Remove Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where can i get my watch polish. I have SS SUb v series...any recommendation? Cost?
    salvato

Current
    116610 V Sub

Wish List
    Daytona 116519 WG meteorite
    GMT iic full gold jade dial
    AP Bumble bee

Comment

• Originally posted by 3131T View Post
      I feel that there is no way too...

The only way for myself to minimise scratches is I will not put on the better condition watches to a drinking session.

I only put on one of my watches for drinking session, always that one, n when i look at it.... oh no....
      I definitely agree... once I get tipsy and walk around with exaggerated arm movement, sure kenna big time knocks/scratches. Just knocked one of my fav watches into a lamp post after a night at ktv... OUCH!

But at the end of it, no matter how careful one is, sure kenna scratches on the watch. No point buying an expensive watch and overprotecting it like a baby. A watch serves u for your enjoyment, not the other way around, and certainly not for u to take care of it for the next owner when u wanna upgrade the watch.

All u need to do is to be reasonably careful, and let it build up character in it's journey with u. When time comes, just send it for a light polish.
      "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
      --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

• I wear my watch with two condoms, 1 on watch and the other one on hand. After 5 years still looks brand new. And has nice strawberry aroma))). But of course you can choose banana aroma condoms, it's up to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Destro22BT View Post
          I definitely agree... once I get tipsy and walk around with exaggerated arm movement, sure kenna big time knocks/scratches. Just knocked one of my fav watches into a lamp post after a night at ktv... OUCH!

But at the end of it, no matter how careful one is, sure kenna scratches on the watch. No point buying an expensive watch and overprotecting it like a baby. A watch serves u for your enjoyment, not the other way around, and certainly not for u to take care of it for the next owner when u wanna upgrade the watch.

All u need to do is to be reasonably careful, and let it build up character in it's journey with u. When time comes, just send it for a light polish.
          That is the 2nd reason why I bought my pre-own (2nd hand) 16570/bk.
          If scratches, feel not so bad compare to BNIB.
          And 16570 are brush furnished, minor scratches does not look so obvious.

Comment

• hi guys, normally when scratches occurs, especially on the clasps and bracelets, can waxing or polishing do away those scratches? how about the links itself?

Comment

• Originally posted by kent View Post
              hi guys, normally when scratches occurs, especially on the clasps and bracelets, can waxing or polishing do away those scratches? how about the links itself?
              No no , ypu do not want to wax your watch..

Polishing with a simple low abrasion specialty cloth can remove light scratches.
              Just make sure you wipe in straight direction and no swirl around

Comment

• Have seen those polishing cloth where you can clean and wipe and the latter becomes black.
                "similar" to those given when you purchase pandora charms.....

Can we use that on the watch without scratching or swirling?

Comment

• I go to rolex service center at orchard to polish

Comment

• Cape Cod polishing cloths are ideal for light swirls and minor scratches.

Comment

• Originally posted by praha335ci View Post
                      Cape Cod polishing cloths are ideal for light swirls and minor scratches.
                      ... and only on polished surfaces, pls
                      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                        ... and only on polished surfaces, pls
                        That's a very good point that many "advisors" neglected. Many watches have some brushed surface where the finishing cannot be achieved by self/manual polishing.

For me if a scratch is fine enough to be self polished away, it doesn't bother me. Also I believe there are many watch lovers like me who rather buy a watch with few light scratches but never been polished, than one that are polished swee swee.

And why has this "how to protect" thread become another "how to polish" thread?
                        Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

• errr.. I think it is still relevant ba. The next thing when you realized there's only so much you can do to protect a wrist watch, is to know how you can help if the watch sustains scratches and that'll be "how to polish" lor
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

• Don't polish too much. Will loose too much material.

Seen those rolex bracelet with disappearing crown?

Generally self polishing with cape cod etc, its a while before too much material lost.
                            But the procedure of sending in to polish will induce much more material lost.
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

• The only scratch proof watch is Rado V10k.

Diamond case surface. Hence named v10k.
                              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

• Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                                Don't polish too much. Will loose too much material.

Seen those rolex bracelet with disappearing crown?

Generally self polishing with cape cod etc, its a while before too much material lost.
                                But the procedure of sending in to polish will induce much more material lost.
                                Fully agree with Watcha. As much as possible avoid polishing a watch.

I might be bias but I think this community needs advice like this, and the right influence on the "correct" way to appreciate and maintain watches. Not telling people to use autosol to polish his few thousand dollars watch. Not telling people to never service a watch until it's broken. I use " " on the word correct because I know different people have different views of a "nice watch" (I have read that someone sent his few months old watch for a full polishing), but any serious collector would tell you an original unpolished vintage with slight cosmetic imperfections is much more valuable then a polished piece.

I am not saying polishing a watch is wrong so don't flame me and go ahead to polish your watch if it makes you happier.
                                Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X